Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What base and legs should i use?

Kelvin_lai
Getting Established

What base and legs should i use?

20200501_021221.jpgWhat should i use for the base of the table?(All around or cross?)

I kinda what it to support half of my weight as i might fall asleep from doing 

assessments.

Thanks,

Kelvin.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What base and legs should i use?

Welcome to the Workshop community @Kelvin_lai.

What type of top are you using for this desk project? The amount and type of support needed will be determined by the thickness of the top. If you use the cross option the two pieces will need to be joined where they meet. It might be more practical to make the support go around the perimeter of the tabletop. 

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have other questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi, Mitchel

I am looking for something sturdy but not to heavy and not too pricey for the top part.

What would you recommend? 

So if i was going with your suggested support that goes around the tabletop should i add another beam in the middle for extra support or would it be ok left with the support?

Thanks Kelvin.

Hi @Kelvin_lai.

If you wanted something that was functional and looked nice you could use 1200 x 800 x 18mm Red Oak Plywood. You could then finish the exposed edges off with Porta18 x 6mm 2.4m Tasmanian Oak Half Round Bead Moulding.

Depending on the amount of weight, a beam in the middle would add to the structural nature of the top and prevent future sagging. It's never a bad idea to over-engineer a project.

Mitchell

Hi, MitchellMc

What type of mount do you recommend? And what kind of mounts do you guys have?

Would it have to be custom made or would you already have something in store?

The weight the table should support is around 30-40 kgs thats around half of my weight.

The legs should be around 830 mm long as that is a comfortable height for me.

And as for the bit in the middle its just a extra mount for another monitor, height of it needs to be 430-450 mm, width needs to be 350 mm. The support for this shouldnt be as important as the legs of the main table.

As to why i wanted extra support in the middle is because as you have mention tables tend to sag after sometime, so its just a countermeasure to that.

Cheers,

Kelvin

Kelvin_lai
Getting Established

As i have visited one of the stores asking for advice and didn't get anywhere.

The store i visited is the one located, 230 Burwood Road, Hawthorn VIC 3122.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kelvin_lai.

We have a variety of monitor mounts available to suit your needs. There are no pre-made legs which are as long as 830mm. The longest leg I can find is the Leggz 735mm Round Plain Wooden Table Leg. If you were to go with 65 x 19mm x 3.0m Tasmanian Oak Dressed All Round for the supports around the edge, you could fix the legs into those giving an extra 19mm. The legs at 735mm, the supports at 19mm and the tabletop at 18mm would create a total height of 772mm. If you still wanted it at the 830mm leg length I could suggest using Pine DAR 42 x 42mm 1.8m Porta and creating your own legs.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks again for getting back to this topic so fast.

So i have taken your advice on the table top 1200*800*18mm for the table top, as for the  legs i have gone with is Black steel 700*50mm x5.

I was wondering if you guys also  do spray painting? As i want the desk to be black color from top to toe and do you guys also sand the wood or do we do that ourselves? As i just want to sand the edges so they are not so pointy.

Also do you also have any monitor mounts that can reach above 450mm?

And where can i get all these pre made.

Another question is do you guys also pre drill the holes with nail holders if its even whats its called.

Cheers Kelvin

Hi @Kelvin_lai.

We do not offer a spray painting service but I can guide you through the process of using British Paints 310g Spray Easy Satin Black to paint the desk. Some 180 grit sandpaper would be suitable for sanding the edges so they are not so pointy prior to painting.

The Crest Single Arm Monitor Desk Mount has a maximum adjustment height of 450mm. That is to the mount in the middle at the rear of the monitor. The top of the monitor will end up being above 450mm.

We do not pre-drill holes in timber but I am happy to guide you through that process also.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

As i have found a much cheaper solution. 

Table: Lifetime 6ft Bi-Fold Blow Mould Trestle Table @ $55

2nd Monitor mount: Syneco 2 Step Plastic Stool @ $9.90

They do the job perfect for me.

How it looks from the front.How it looks from the front.

Thanks,

Kelvin

How it looks from the backHow it looks from the back

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects