Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What furniture is best to refurbish and what tools are needed?

furnitureflip
Just Starting Out

What furniture is best to refurbish and what tools are needed?

Hi everyone,

I'm starting out in furniture flipping DIY and want to know some pieces of furniture which are best to refurbish and what tools I need? is there a guide out there? thanks :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Embarking on furniture flipping - guides?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @furnitureflip. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about furniture upcycling.

I'd recommend you take a look at some of these guides:

You might also like to check out these wonderful member projects: How to upcycle a chest of drawers by @Renowayoflife and Upcycled furniture for women's shelter by @jemma11

In the guides above, you'll find several tools that you'll use commonly in furniture flipping. I recommend investing in a drill driver, random orbital sander and detail sander, good quality paintbrush and roller, painter's tape and a few drop sheets. As you progress with your venture, you can add to your collection.

Regarding specific advice on pieces to select, that has a lot to do with your market. Large pieces are difficult to shift, requiring a trailer to pick up. Until you establish a market, I recommend sticking to smaller units. Bedside tables are a winner as everyone uses them, and fit in most vehicles. I suggest you look for solid timber pieces and avoid more modern chipboard units with veneers. More recently, the flipping scene has seen the use of painted surfaces and the exposure of beautiful timbers. To do this well, it's important to select pieces that have solid timber tops that can be sanded back to reveal their natural beauty. Just check out some of our member's projects and their incredible results.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects