Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What putty to use on old hinge holes in chest?

CPA41
Finding My Feet

What putty to use on old hinge holes in chest?

Hi I have removed some old hinges from a chest and want to know the best putty to use to fill them. I will be placing other hinges over the top of them. Thanks

IMG_2281.jpeg

IMG_2269.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What putty to use on old hinge holes in chest?

Hello @CPA41 

Wood filler comes in different timber colours, If you are trying to match the timber shade with the filler, I suggest bringing the timber cover with you. You also have the option of using a neutral filler, but the difference in colour will sometimes make the old hinge holes stand.

If you're positioning the new hinges in another spot, then I recommend trying to get a filler that's close to the colour of the timber. 

If you are going to be screwing the new hinges close to the old hinge holes, I recommend using Builders Bog. This filler dries hard and allows you to drill into it, just make sure its fully cured before you attempt to fix into it. Please note that the Builders Bog is grey in colour and will not match your timber finish.

Make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a dust mask when working on your timber chest.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @Adam_W for their recommendations. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects