Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What screw type and size should I use to attach acrylic to wood?

mia9321
Finding My Feet

What screw type and size should I use to attach acrylic to wood?

I'm looking to attach 3mm thick acrylic to 5mm thick hardwood and am not sure which screw type and size to use. 

To clarify, I want to attach the long side of the acrylic parallel to the 5mm side of the hardwood.  Feel free to suggest products obtainable from Bunnings.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What screw type and size should I use to attach acrylic to wood?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mia9321. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

To fully understand how you want to fix the acrylic I might need further information. Do you wish to screw through the face of the acrylic into the side of a 5mm thick piece of hardwood as in the picture below? 

If this is the case, you'll need a screw that is less than 5mm in thickness and the Pinnacle 3.5 x 20mm Black Countersunk Timber Screw - 30 Pack or Pinnacle 3.5 x 20mm Black Round Head Timber Screw - 30 Pack would be suitable. I would advise pre-drilling the acrylic sheet and timber before inserting the screws.

Please let me know if you were thinking of a different orientation. You might like to include some images of how you would like to join the timber and acrylic.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

That's the exact orientation and side I want the screw to be inserted, thank you.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@mia9321,

Perfect, please let us know if you run into difficulties or had any other questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects