Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of ceiling paint for caravan annex with polystyrene ceiling bats?

rob5
Finding My Feet

What type of ceiling paint for caravan annex with polystyrene ceiling bats?

hi

have a permanent caravan annex with rather unsightly white polystyrene ceiling bats approx 4m x 1m (4) with aluminium dividers holding them in place.

Would like to paint or cover these as they are quite ugly and also have dents and holes to add to their imperfections!

Paint seems the easier option but being polystyrene a reaction might occur if using wrong type? Thinking a thick textured paint would certainly cover the dents and marks if this was an option?

Cheers.Rob

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: What type of ceiling paint for caravan annex with polystyrene ceiling bats?

Rob from memory you can use acrylic water based paint on foam. It must be waterbased and will take multiple coats. I suggest you get a test pot and test a small piece of foam before starting on your ceiling though. JDE

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @rob5,

Great to see you get a very helpful reply from @JDE.

Let me tag a few other members to see if they might like to share their thoughts: @Mathy, @Peggers, @Tara86

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rob5,

I apologise for the delay in my reply. I see you've already received a helpful reply from @JDE and I agree with their answer. It is a general rule that you can paint polystyrene with water-based paint. As with all uncommon solutions, it is best to try a test section first to ensure there is no adverse reaction.

I would recommend using a  sealer/primer/undercoat and two coats of Dulux Wash & Wear. You can fill any voids or damage with Spakfilla before you do the priming coat.

Please let me know if you need any additional information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects