Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of curtain rod/curtain rings for a 4m wide window?

Louise11
Finding My Feet

What type of curtain rod/curtain rings for a 4m wide window?

I have a 4m wide patio window and am wanting to add a curtain rod and curtains onto it. The curtains will be heavy as it's a big window (width and depth), so i want to ensure that the pole is secure. I am thinking i will need a number of support brackets along the pole but also need the curtain rings to be able to pass over the brackets so that the curtains can be pulled closed.

1. What are my options for passover brackets and passover curtain c-rings? 

2. Are 4m wide curtain rods available or should i use 2 x 2m curtain rods across the window?

Any other options or suggestions welcome.

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What type of curtain rod/curtain rings for a 4m wide window?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Louise11. It's wonderful that you've joined us and many thanks for your question about curtain rods and curtain rings for a 4-meter wide window. 

I recommend using the 2 x 2m rods to evenly split the weight of the curtains. It is possible to get a 4-meter curtain track but, It is more practical to spread the weight of the curtain on two points rather than having all that weight concentrated on one side of the track. An example of a 4-meter track is the Zone Interiors 280-500cm White Idaho Hand Drawn Expanding Curtain Track. However, if any damage such as bowing or turning should occur while attached to your wall, the entire track would have to be replaced.

Using passover curtain c-rings is a viable option but falls into the same trap of weight distribution. You would also need dedicated passover curtain rods with special fittings to accommodate the rings. My colleague has suggested the Windoware 2.2 - 4m x 25/28mm Diameter Astra Expanding Curtain Rod as an option should you wish to have one straight curtain rod.

Let me tag our experienced members @craftyhopper and @prettyliving for their recommendations.

If you need further advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric. 
Do you have any examples of the dedicated passover curtain rods with special fittings to accommodate the c-rings and the actual c-rings? I couldn’t seem to find anything when I searched the website. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Louise11

I'm so sorry, but the c-rings and shallow rail brackets are not available at the store. Unfortunately, the current fittings at the store such as the Pillar Products 32mm Brushed Chrome Curtain Rod Bracket - 2 Pack are very similar, but the rail hooks are not shallow enough to allow c-rings to pass through. I recommend exploring my first suggestion of using the double rail configuration. If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your curtain rail installed.

Eric

Thanks Eric. Can you please share with me some of the 2m curtain rods that you recommend for the 2 x 2m rod configuration that you suggested? I'm unsure about the number of brackets for each 2m rod - is it just a bracket at each end that's required? Will this support the weight of the 1 curtain? My preference would be wooden curtain rod/bracket/rings, however whatever material is most suitable and durable is what i'll go with.

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Louise11

If you are after a timber curtain rail I suggest having a look at the Windoware 210cm x 33mm Natural Wooden Curtain Rod Set. This can be painted to the same colour as your wall or window trim. You can modify it by removing the finial ends to join two rods together with a single support in the middle. It comes with its own timber rings and brackets. You can also use Pillar Products 2.0m x 25mm Brushed Chrome Curtain Conduit Pillar. You can mix and match finial ends and have your choice on what kind of bracket to use. 

If the opportunity presents itself, I suggest visiting the curtain rod and blinds section of the store and have a look.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects