Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What wood to use for a study desk + staining?

prvz27
Building a Reputation

What wood to use for a study desk + staining?

Hi guys!

I had previously posted about making a Murphy fold-able  study desk, however the folding mechanism is of no use to me really, and I have decided to mount a simple desk like this one posted previously by another workshop member:
https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Whole-of-House/First-Timer-DIY-Floating-Shelf/m-p/38415

This is my first DIY project so I have a lot of questions in mind!

1. I would like to stain my desk so it matches the colour of my bed head and drawers, so I would use unfinished wood. There are a quite a few on the Bunnings website such as the Pine utility panel, Hevea finger jointed panel, Oak panel, Beech Panel and Ash panel. I'm not sure what wood to use and what will be the best for a study desk and staining. Would appreciate some insight here. 

2. Any recommended stain brands? And how shall I go about staining? I do understand a pre-stain conditioner is required, but I don't quite understand the sanding that goes into the process, and what grit to use. I am assuming I will sand the panel first (would 240 grit be fine here)?.... then apply a pre-stain conditioner... wipe it off.... then apply the stain...wipe it off...wait for it to dry and see if it's the colour I am after. Would I then apply Polyurethane? Please correct if I am wrong here.

3. Lastly, which brackets would be the most suitable? I understand the ones with the diagonal support are strong, do they have a mentioned weight limit on how much KG they can hold? How much of the desk must sit on the bracket, I am assuming at least half of it? Finally, is it possible to paint the bracket to a custom colour?

If you've made it this far, thanks a lot of reading!
Would appreciate any help here, thank you!

Madmoggy
Having an Impact

Re: What wood to use for a study desk + staining?

It would appear that your bed head is pine and has been charred with a gas torch and then stained etc. you can get a nice little gas torch at Bunnings, my local has a Tradeflame 220g butane one that uses spray can size gas cans. Check out some YouTube videos and have a go on some scraps before you have a go. It will result in the high and lows your furniture has if you run your hand over it as the softer wood burns out faster that the harder grainA4A98397-4FC5-408B-8AC7-13B0F039B89E.jpeg

prvz27
Building a Reputation

Re: What wood to use for a study desk + staining?

@Madmoggy 

Thanks a lot for the insight there! Will definately have a go in the future ! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects