Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which PVC pipes are best for making a soundbooth?

Musi
Just Starting Out

Which PVC pipes are best for making a soundbooth?

Hi guys -
I'm trying to make a relatively cheapish makeshift sound booth. I have seen many suggestions of using pvc pipe to make a frame before chucking blankets on it. It seems like electrical conduit seems best but I'm admittedly very unsure of what kind of conduit and joining I should use to make it stable enough for blankets but also like the picture below. Any advice would be really appreciated! Thank you :smile:

PVC-Frame-details-9-scaled.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which pvc joints/pipes are best for making a soundbooth?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Musi. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about joining the conduit.

The main issue you'll have is that the conduit corner joiners are not readily available. We have plenty of conduit, but it doesn't generally use the joiner I've illustrated below. You can see they've got around this by extending the frame and using standard right-angle corner pieces, which is smart.

They appear to be using around 32mm PVC pressure pipe. That picture is wrong (I'll let our team know), and I'll add one below which is a closer representation. It has a thicker wall than standard PVC and should be rigid enough for your project. These are the corners and tee pieces you'll use. This glue joins the sections. 

I'd suggest making your frame, and if it flexes, you can cut the flexing section midway and insert an addition upright in that location.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which pvc joints/pipes are best for making a soundbooth?

Hi @Musi 

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @MitchellMc. Just to add to the suggestions made, I also recommend looking at the Holman Ezyfit Products. They come in different diameters and will work with the Holman PVC plumbing pipes. Please note that the pipes come in different lengths so please choose carefully.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects