Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

bookcase plinth material

Nalkur
Just Starting Out

bookcase plinth material

I am building a bookcase that will be 3m wide x 2.4m high x .3m deep. I am intending to have a plinth under it.

looking at materials for the plinth I came across lvl e-beam material. Would I be able to end screw/nail into this for the cross members of the plinth?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: bookcase plinth material

Hi @Nalkur,

Welcome to Workshop. We're pleased to have you join us. 

Let me tag one of our keen bookcase makers in @Poppop who might like to kick off this discussion.

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have a project to share. We look forward to seeing this project come to life. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Poppop
Making a Splash

Hi @Nalkur . Whether it's laminated or solid timber, my main concern with screwing into the end grain is splitting. You could consider using Triple grip type bracket as pictured. Although if your end panels aren't thick enough to accomodate a decent size nail or screw from the inside you may need to resort to nails or screws into the beam from the outside. In which case i can only suggest pre drilling the holes as deep as you can.

Good luck and don't forget to share some photos of the finished product.

Poppop.joist-hanger-455x455.jpg

Nalkur
Just Starting Out

@Poppop 

Thanks for you reply. I was considering the use of 90 x 35 LVL ebeam for the plinth. Will need about 8m of the stuff.

yes I wasn’t sure about splitting either. Just had another thought when I saw your post. Chocks in each corner inside the plinth and face screw the cross members to the front and back. Would that work?

E754FB53-F29D-4DC8-A506-293E97ADF3D2.jpeg

IMAG0852(1)_1.jpg

 I think I know what you mean. I use that idea in the corners of some of my planter boxes and bench seats. It works well to stop splitting. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects