Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Acoustic fencing ideas

Narellekaren
Getting Established

Acoustic fencing ideas

Hello I would like help regarding making my existing fence more sound proof please.  Presemt ir is an existing paling fence with shrinkage that has caused gaps. My neigbours have a pool really close to fence line and would like ideas on blocking noise. 

20220206_172517.jpg

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: Acoustic fencing ideas

Acoustic Fence Wrap. IMO, it's the ugliest thing you can put up, but it's Black and your plants will stand out better in front of it (you can always install lattice panels over it as well). The noise reduction in those things are unreal, though they can get expensive. 

Remarka6le

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Narellekaren. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about soundproofing your fence.

Interesting topic which I haven't come across before. It looks like @Remarka6le has some experience, though. I've checked out these acoustic fence wraps, and they seem to be anything from rubber/vinyl matting to multiwall blankets. I suspect anything you place in front of the fence will reduce the noise transfer to a certain degree. We're looking to disturb the sound waves by deflecting them away so they can't pass straight through. I'd imagine these EVA 50 x 50cm Interlock Foam Mats would also do a reasonable job of deflecting/absorbing the sound. You can cut them to fit and secure them to the fence with Liquid Nails. You'll want to invest in some screening to cover over them. 

I'm sure vinyl floor matting or EVA foam won't be as effective as a purpose-built blanket, though they could be a good compromise if the price of acoustic fence wrap makes them prohibitive.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

A friend had a similar situation across from a noisy neigbour across the back of their property, the Fence Wrap did a good job until we were able to build a solid brick wall (which did wonders by itself), then reinstalled the fence wrap and finally planted some thick hedges to bring in some green. 

Just putting hedges and plants by themselves won't provide a lot of noise reduction, but I find a combination of 60mm thick brushwood and some plant lattices do a great job dampening noise in my grand parents home. 

Remarka6le

Hello and thankyou for suggestions.  what do you think about fibre cement sheeting? for noise reduction. There is a guy on here who did it?.

Also does Bunnings sell Fence wrap

Thankyou i may use fence wrap. But so ugly.  Or i might build a wall something that absords sound.

Hi @Narellekaren,

Just wondering how you are going with your noise reduction project?

Did you need any further assistance from the Bunnings team? We're here to help. 

Jason

Hello, i will be getting some fibre cement sheeting and getting it attached to my existing fence. I then have some bamboo sheeting that im going to cover it with to make it look nicer. I will post photos and let you know whether this sheeting has lowered the noise. Thanks for this group for the ideas.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Narellekaren

Thank you so much for the update. I'm sure our members are keen to see what the fence will look like once you've attached the cement sheet and bamboo. We're also curious to know if it will improve the acoustics in your area.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

How will the acoustic board hold up in wet weather seems recommended for indoors? Manufacturer states it is water resistant though any experience of the product being used outdoors on a wooded fence?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects