Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Acoustic fencing ideas

Narellekaren
Getting Established

Acoustic fencing ideas

Hello I would like help regarding making my existing fence more sound proof please.  Presemt ir is an existing paling fence with shrinkage that has caused gaps. My neigbours have a pool really close to fence line and would like ideas on blocking noise. 

20220206_172517.jpg

Re: Acoustic fencing ideas

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Johnskippy. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about acoustic panels.

I'll need to call the manufacturer after the weekend to find out. As you've noted, it's water resistant, and I see that it's made from polyester, which typically doesn't degrade from moisture. However, given it seems to be aimed at indoor applications, I am unsure how it would stand up to UV damage.

I'll let you know after the weekend.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Johnskippy,

After speaking with the manufacturer, they are uncertain of the product's longevity if it is to be exposed to the weather; no testing has been conducted. I would err on the side of caution and not use it in an outdoor situation where it is exposed to the elements. I'll go ahead and edit my initial response to remove the reference to this product.

Perhaps if you let our helpful members know a little more about what you require the sound insulation for, they might have other suggestions.

Mitchell

tuckbox
Finding My Feet

My old fence had gaps, so I used old fence palings to fill the gaps. You can find old fence palings that people are throwing out for free on Facebook marketplace and they can be reused to fill the gaps, then I painted the fence. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tuckbox. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Covering the gaps in a fence would certainly go a long way to prevent noise transfer, and using recycled pailings is not only good for the environment but also a budget-friendly solution; great thinking! Did you see a significant reduction in noise from your efforts?

We look forward to hearing all about your projects around the home and garden. Please reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects