Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Advice on updating outdoor steps

Michael11
Cultivating a Following

Advice on updating outdoor steps

Hello,

I was just hoping to get some advice on updating the outdoor steps at the back of my house.

These are a bit all over the place, have narrow treads (that are not uniform) and can be a bit slippery and dangerous when it rains (please see photo 1). 

I'm installing a deck that will be just above the level of the bottom step (so the bottom step will be covered by the deck), but before installing the deck, I would ideally like to:

• Extend the tread on the top step (landing) a little 
  • Extend the tread on the middle step possibly up to where the bottom step currently finishes
  • Install some stone pavers/tiles (see photo 2 and 3) where the concrete/cement layer (?) on the top and middle step is currently

As I'm planning to do this myself (with my pretty basic skills), I'm wondering if anyone has some advice about the easiest and best way of going of about this?

For instance, would either of these options work well:

1. Remove concrete layer, mortar in additional bricks to extend treads, and then (using mortar) pave/tile directly on brick

2. Keep concrete layer (which isn't particularly level), pour additional new concrete to extend treads, and then (using mortar) pave/tile on concrete.

Or would it be better to demolish the existing steps and start again?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

Photo 1 - Existing steps

Photo 1 - Existing stepsPhoto 1 - Existing steps

Photo 2 - Example steps with pavers/tiling 

Photo 2 - Example paving/tile on stepsPhoto 2 - Example paving/tile on steps

Photo 3 - Example steps with paver treadPhoto 3 - Example steps with paving treadPhoto 3 - Example steps with paving tread

sudarsoe
Cultivating a Following

Re: Advice on updating outdoor steps

@Michael11 

Hi Mike.

Have you considered encasing it with wood? (Using composite decking products)

so, the idea is to rest it on the existing concrete steps and anchor it down.

create wooden sleeve like glove for the steps.

just a thought. 🙂

Michael11
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Sudarsoe - really appreciate this. This is a great idea & will also make for some nice consistency with the deck I'm installing (which will have composite boards too)!

Thanks again,

Michael 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Michael11

Just a friendly reminder that if you are planning on putting composite boards on your steps make sure to put in an air gap so that moisture does not get trapped under the boards. If the moisture gets trapped underneath it will start to develop mould and mildew. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your outdoor steps project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Michael11
Cultivating a Following

Thanks so much Eric - really appreciate this. Yeah will make sure to include adequate space so there is an air gap!

Actually started to remove what I thought was the overlay layer of concrete but (deceivingly) it turned out that, other than the external facing bricks, the steps are solid concrete, which was difficult to break up even with the rotary hammer drill chisel function (please see attached), so it's back to the drawing board.

Given that I'm installing a deck, I was thinking that I might just use deck framing to extend the middle step out to the bottom step (and place composite decking boards on top), which the deck will butt up against and be at the height of the current bottom step.

To do this, would I essentially do something like the following:

• create a box frame with say 90x45 H3 treated pine (and say 3 small joists in between as the step is about 1m in length) that I attach to the bottom step with say Ankascrews or dynabolts, ensuring adequate air gap (with plastic packers etc).  
  • Cover frame with joist tape
  • Lay decking boards from the front of the step toward the back
  • Attach fascia decking boards

Any further thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,

Michael

20220913_090740.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Michael11

My only other suggestion would be to keep your options open when choosing the timber frame for the steps. I recommend looking at 90x35 or 70x35 on the condition that these timber sizes will fit into your plans. I also propose using Consolidated Alloys 50mm x 20m Bearer Protector G-Tape to protect your frame from the rain.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your outdoor steps ready for use.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects