Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Apartment Balcony Ideas

DC_DIY
Just Starting Out

Apartment Balcony Ideas

Hi all,

I'm new to the workshop and even newer to DIY. I've never really been that hands on but after having bought my first apartment I'm keen to put my hand to a project or two to personalise the apartment a bit.

The main area I'm looking to add some DIY swag is the balcony. It's relatively small (2m x 6m) but definitely has room for additions. Possibly a small garden. I've no idea how I could make it work and have never been much of a green thumb either.

That's where I'm hoping you guys come in. Has anyone got any ideas of what I could add and how I would go about it???

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Apartment Balcony Ideas

Welcome to Workshop @DC_DIY. You've come to the right place for some ideas and inspiration. I'm sure the community will be keen to assist. 

If you could share some photos of the space it would be really helpful so people could more easily visualise and make some suggestions.

Have you seen @Bec's post on her apartment balcony garden?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Aparrtment Balcony Ideas

@DC_DIY

Vertical gardens are massive at the moment and can be a great solution for those with limited space. Do you want some greenery to soften or enliven the balcony, perhaps add some colour, or want to try to grow some herbs and vegies?

Here's some inspiration

vertica-garden-4.jpgVertical-gardens.pnggarden-balcony.jpg

Gibbo
Building a Reputation

For a balcony you have to be careful how much sun the plants will get.

I went to a few nurseries a few years ago with the same question...

You can't beat a few yuccas. Choose some nice big glazed pottery pots and you'll be set. Low maintenance and can handle the extreme weather it'll get.

Gibbo
Building a Reputation

My only issue with vertical gardens on balconies is that if you are a few levels up in a building, the plants will cop a lot of wind.

Can really dry your plants out.

However they're a great idea on a non-exposed wall and look amazing. Try some colourful perrenials!

kaylah_rose
Making a Splash

I've always liked the look of artificial turf on a balcony to bring a bit of green and life. It also creates a really relaxed feel. We have this on our balcony at work and it is great in the summer. 

There are plenty of easy DIY projects that can spruce up a balcony depending on the look you are going for. 

Some of my favourites are these below. I love the idea of grass and lots of cushions or a hammock to make a really relaxed hangout area. 

fakegrass.jpgshelving.jpghammock.jpgcushions.jpg

The pallet couch also looks great and can be made in any size to fit any space, which is handy. 

couch.jpg

Let us know how you go! Would be interested in seeing the final result :smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @DC_DIY,

Just wondering how your balcony is going? Have you got any photos you could share?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects