Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Are brick hooks suitable for hanging a shade sail?

sarah056
Just Starting Out

Are brick hooks suitable for hanging a shade sail?

We live in a rental apartment that has direct light coming into one of the balconies, we are hoping to hang up a shade sail to help diffuse the heat and light coming in, I saw that Bunnings sells brick hooks that insert on the brick and used the tension of the object it’s hanging to stay in place, I’m wondering if this would apply to a shade sail? Given it won’t be hanging down but more parallel to the hook

D1225250-FD3B-43E6-A99C-2C2BE79D93A7.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Are brick hooks suitable for hanging a shade sail?

Hello @sarah056 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about attaching shade sail to brick hooks.

It is an interesting idea, however, brick hooks work by the application of leverage and weight. If you'll look at the picture below, the brick hook has two points of contact one on top of the brick and one below it. The weight of the object in this case the gas tank is applying constant pressure to the bottom clip which in turn applies pressure to the top clip. Without this constant weight on the hook, it will slip.  

In order for us to give you a comprehensive recommendation, would it be possible for you to post a photo of your balcony and the balcony fence? This will give out members a chance to assess the location. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Are brick hooks suitable for hanging a shade sail?

Hi @sarah056,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust you'll get loads of inspiration and helpful advice from our clever and creative community members.

Please let me know if you need a hand uploading the images that Eric requested. 

I would think that you need to be careful with this project as there can be very significant force applied by the wind on a shade sail. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects