Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Artificial grass installation and base preparation for sports area

Daffygirl
Finding My Feet

Artificial grass installation and base preparation for sports area

Hi 

I've just joined hopefully I can help others in this forum along the way.

I have decided to create an Artificial grass area for my kids to play basketball and cricket etc has anyone done this ?
I have been clearing the area out and nearly ready to lay the FCR done for a base.
My question is how thick do I make it ? do I need to put anything on top once I have compacted it down before the grass ?

Thanks for you time and advice  

Reno_Mum
Getting Established

Re: Artificial grass installation and base preparation for sports area

Hi Daffygirl, just saw your post. I just recently had my lawn removed & replaced with artificial turf for easy maintenance. The compacted base (decomposed granite) wasn’t very thick - I would say 60 - 70mm. However I learned the hard way that if you have dogs, also include & a thin layer of Zeolite & compact it on top of the granite. It’s the product used in pool sand filters & is a natural volcanic mineral that absorbs the smell of urine & other odours. Artificial turf does have drainage holes but it doesn’t drain urine well. Also sprinkle it onto the lawn after the fine sand. I top it up every now & then. I purchased it from Bunnings in a 15kg bag. Again it absorbs odours & reduces the heat of the lawn as they can get hot in full sun. I chose a FIFA approved Australian Made turf as it doesn’t get as hot as the cheap alternatives from China. It’s really important especially if kids are playing on it & it’s in full sun. Once a month I sprinkle a product called Biozet Attack (powered form) on the turf & hose it down. Again gets rid of any smells & cleans the turf. It’s available at Woolworths in large buckets. I know this response was off the beaten track but I just wanted to provide my ‘lesson learned’ advise in case you have dogs as well! Good luck! I’m sure the kids will love it!!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Daffygirl. It's sensational to have you join us and many thanks for your question about laying synthetic turf.

For our synthetic turf, you need to remove 100mm of the existing soil and then flatten it. You'll then fill 60-70mm of roadbase across the area. Compact the road base with a compactor. For a professional result, then add a 20mm covering of 5mm crusher dust over the roadbase. Level the area and water in lightly. After waiting 10 minutes compact again.

Following this procedure will leave you with 10-15mm of space until your desired finished height. This space will accommodate most grasses and leave them slightly proud of the surrounding surfaces.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

A big welcome to you too @Reno_Mum. Many thanks for such a helpful first post, I'm sure @Daffygirl really appreciates you taking the time to join the community and relay your experience.

We look forward to hearing all about your plans around the house and garden. Please feel free to reach out any time you need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Reno Mum

I'm currently flighting with clearing the area I have massive hedge roots to remove 

Thanks Mitchell 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects