Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Attaching Colorbond fence extension

hbye
Getting Established

Attaching Colorbond fence extension

I am attempting to extend the height of my colourbond fence and have purchased the extension posts, the extension panels and the capping post with the advise of my local Bunnings people. Now that I have everything I need I can’t work out how the panels fit into the posts as they are a lot narrower than the gap in the posts. Is there a tutorial for this? I have looked but can’t find one. I’m thinking that I may have been given wrong information on what I need when I purchased the items. These are the items I was advised I needed. 

078BB5E7-F340-40FE-8D24-248D655F2001.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: attaching colourbond fence extension to existing fence

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Baron. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Colorbond fence extensions.

@ProjectPete uses plate 250mm brackets (flat steel hammered into the top of the posts) to connect the 300mm uprights (shape of the channel/post) onto the existing posts.

Using COLORBOND Steel 340mm Fencing Post Extensions is another approach. They are available in our stores and don't require the use of a joining bracket. They fit over the existing posts and are then screwed into position. You'll just need to check whether they are compatible with your fence posts.

If you'd like to contact @ProjectPete, you can do so through Workshops' private message function. However, hopefully, he'll respond to our tags and reply here. I'll also reach out to Pete to see where he got the extensions and plate brackets for his How-To article. I'll let you know when I have an answer.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Baron,

@ProjectPete has used extensions from the manufacturer of his particular Colorbond fence. Since several profiles of posts exist, you'd need to contact the supplier of your specific fence and order the extension kit through them. The kits are not interchangeable between different brands. Do you happen to know the brand of fence you have? Perhaps Pete might then be able to point you in the right direction.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell Thanks for the info, but I solved it by using 30x30x1.15 galvanized angle from Bunnings cut into 300mm sections and inserted 2 of them halfway into the top of the posts and then attached 340mm long posts ( cut from 2400 posts) added top and bottom rail and used 3 infill sheets cut to 330mm from 1490sheets .I wanted full privacy so I did not want slats or lattice infill. Looks good and very solid. Regards Peter
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Baron

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your finished project? I'm sure our members are keen to see how you made your fence extensions.

Eric

Baron
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric

Here are some photos of my fence extension. It takes a bit of manipulation to get the 2 - 3 x3 x 1.15mm angles into the top of the posts. I have cut the post extensions using an angle grinder from the standard 2.4 m posts. I made them 340mm long and and cut standard infill sheets to 330mm, that left me very little waste. Of course you can make the extension posts and sheets to suit your requirement or leave out the bottom rail if you want a slat or lattice infill sheet. I made a total of 6 extensions for a total cost of $350, all materials bought from Bunnings.

I did 6 IMG_20211130_135400.jpgIMG_20211130_135412.jpgIMG_20211130_093451.jpgIMG_20211130_093432 (1).jpgIMG_20211130_135334.jpgIMG_20211201_083317.jpgextensions for a total cost of $350. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Baron 

Thank you so much for posting those fencing extension photos. What an amazingly creative solution to extending your fence using Australian Handyman Supplies 30 x 30 x 1.15mm x 2.4m Galvanised Pressed, Angle. I wouldn't have it thought possible because of the shape of the post. This is a good alternative to extending Colorbond steel fences.

Again, thank you for sharing your fence extension technique.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects