Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Backyard ideas

Yudi
Finding My Feet

Backyard ideas

Hey guys, my First Post! Have been reading quite a few of everyones posts / topics on here for a while, thought id give it a go since i need some help / advice with my backyard. Ive uploaded some pics of our yard to make it easier for everyone to see what im working with. a few things about me; first time home owner. first time home owner in Australia. in Western Sydney. Havent got any intergenerational knowledge / knowhow. Have done a few tiny things around the house by doing a lot of research and annoying Bunnings staff Ha. Anyhow, i want to create an entertainment space in our yard. I have a few ideas based on images / reading other people posts / going through other sites (Homeone . Houzz). The problem is certainly budget. Only been here a year. It would basically dictate what, if anything id be able to do. 

So i have measure out a few things: Existing concrete / tiled patio area: 4.4m x 2.5m. Patio stepdown from the house :13cm. Patio to grass stepdown : 13cm. Edge of watertank concrete to expected deck height: ~50cm. Expected "deck" dimessions: 6.6m x 3m (3m out is wehre the yellow pot is)

Wishlist: I am considering puting up a Deck like structure on top of the existing patio, and extending on the right side. We want the new struxture to be of the same level as indoors. to have a seemless transition going out (instead of the existing step down) Going to put a dininig setting to start with. We entertain a fair bit. And we always have heaps of people over. 10-15 on any occasion, never any small occasions. Want some kind of Semi? permanent open ish "roof /shade" structure. Dont want a pergola / gazebo type things, because we prefer to have sunlight inside the house everyday. So something along the lines of a Folding arm awning / Bunnings Mimosa 4x2.8m Semi Permanent Retractable Roof gazebo / Mimosa 3 x 3.6 Louvre Gazebo. (I have done a lot of research on the normal outdoor shop strutctres and they just cost too much at the moment , maybe in the longterm). We dont care much for the garden / lawn, probably would kill Succulents if we had those. 

So my list of questions to you all is: 

- What kinda of structure options do i have? Is Timber deck the only thing i can do? easy maintainence is a top priority. Can you put "Tiles / Pavers" on top of a wooden frame base type thing? 

-What sort of numbers im looking at for a deck 6.6 x 3m ? Materials wise speaking. And what range would it cost to have someone come and built it for us? 

Would really appreciate some suggestions fomr you all. Sorry about the typos, typing on an ipad. 

59B0966A-2B89-4E0D-AC2D-186B61E9A696-1000.jpg63E5BE10-2EAA-41B1-9B3B-B3981BA270D1-1000.jpgA11B0E12-4F43-42CF-8EFA-A52A6536119E-1000.jpgCBF95BEF-3B01-41BD-96A1-50BE14A0C4DF-1000.jpgD4981973-B237-440E-80EB-CE127B0A0AFB-1000.jpg

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Backyard ideas

Welcome @Yudi - you've got some fun ahead of you :smile:

A deck is relatively cost effective (IMO) so a great option to consider. You can go for timber or consider composite decking for less maintenance. 130mm stepdown should give you just enough roomt o squeeze in standard sized decking frame and of course the deck itself. To give you a very rough idea of costs; composite decking inc clips but not the frame/joists you'd be looking at $1300ish from my supplier (Perth) however I have no idea what the materials are worth over your side - plus you'd be paying retail. Add a few hundred for frame materials and itll give you an indicative cost of materials. Then you've got the labour which can add up very quickly. I've seen costs for decking supply/install range from $120sqm (so approx $2400 for your deck) to $250sqm ($5000).

Jump on HiPages and get a feel for the cost by getting the 3 quotes. But remember that cheap quotes equal cheap work so look into the businesses properly before making a decision.

If you're worried about killing grass/plants, go for fake grass. Again, not sure of costs in Sydney but I charge $50sqm supply/install of premium fake grass (to give you an idea of possible costs).

Keep us posted on how this all plays out.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Interesting Pete, Thank you.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Yudi,

Welcome to Workshop. It's fantastic that you've joined us at this exciting time. I'm sure the community can provide plenty of helpful advice and inspiration for your backyard transformation. We are looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

You might like to start with checking out our Top 10 most popular garden makeovers as well as our newly updated Top 10 most popular deck projects. All the projects there should get your creative juices flowing! Feel free to join in the discussion on any of those posts and I'm sure the creators will be happy to assist, as you've done with @LePallet and his backyard transformation.   

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the Workshop site, or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

@Yudi 

It sounds like you want a retractable awning over your new deck. If you get a big one, just make sure you consider a motorised version. Adds signficant cost but means you will use it a lot more often. Winding by hand can take a while!

Awning.jpgluxaflex-products-awnings-folding-arm-awning-al.jpgluxaflex-products-external-collection-folding-arm-awnings-garda.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects