Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Backyard renovation featuring bench and fire pit

Kn140964
Growing in Experience

Backyard renovation featuring bench and fire pit

image.jpgIMG_8507.jpegIMG_8508.jpegIMG_8505.jpegIMG_8505.jpeg

The backyard was ugly and I wanted to create a place where we could entertain and a focus on low maintenance. Using the concrete bricks to make the raised garden beds then used a 2 step render - something I had never done before not 100% smooth but still looked great. I used the textured deluxe paint finish which really made the difference. The bench was made with merbau decking and sealed when it was finished. I used the grate system to hold the pebbles in place and put a brick paver boarder for the synthetic turf to butt up against. The hire shop was great for the compactor to use for the roadbase. I love the grass as it is thick and has a real natural look. Love the end result

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Backyard renovation

Your backyard transformation is stunning @Kn140964. You've really created a beautiful and low-maintenance space for entertaining. The rendered raised garden beds look great and the Merbau decking bench really completes the inviting atmosphere. 

How has this backyard makeover enhanced your overall outdoor experience; are you entertaining more or spending more time outside in general?

Well done and many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kn140964
Growing in Experience

Thank you and yes I love this area and we are spending a lot more time with family and friends

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's wonderful to hear, @Kn140964! Has the successful completion of this project inspired you to improve other areas of your home? What project do you have planned next?

Mitchell

Kn140964
Growing in Experience

Yes I have plenty of things I want to do - build  a she shed out the back I have the slab just need to get going and also looking to do up my son’s room was the old garage so need to raise the floor and then I will put some timber flooring down. He also needs a wardrobe so part of the plan. Question I have to raise the floor 41mm was going to use yellow tongue and red tongue so two layers to get the height would this be okay to do?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It certainly sounds like you'll be busy, @Kn140964!

I can't see any issues with layering red tongue over yellow tongue. What type of timber flooring will you be using?

Mitchell

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Backyard renovation featuring bench and fire pit

Hello @Kn140964,

Let me also congratulate you for your terrific backyard project. You've created a wonderful outdoor place for entertaining and relaxing. I hope you've been enjoying this space, especially now that spring is officially here.

How did you go with installing that shed and redoing your son's room? Do let us know if you need a hand with anything. We'd be happy to assist.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Akanksha

Kn140964
Growing in Experience

Well the shed is on hold as I am working on my sons room. Coming together stud walls up most of the gyproc just plastering then should be ready to paint. Looking good 😊WardrobeWardrobeGyprock upGyprock upStud wall for walk-in linen roomStud wall for walk-in linen roomIMG_8993.jpegIMG_8995.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kn140964 

Thanks for that update on your current project. The walls look great, and they look like they are getting assembled quite fast. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your son's room complete.

Eric

WayneM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Lovely work @Kn140964.

Many thanks for sharing, and well done.

You've provided such detailed information that will be a great help to our community members.

Your post has had many views and we are interested in turning your project into a Featured Project article. Do you have any more pictures you could share? 

It would also be great if you could share some information about installing your fire pit, which would assist others wanting to undertake a similar project.

Many thanks,

Wayne

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects