Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Balcony Air conditioner re-routing hot air - how to do safely and not ugly?

2ManyIdeas
Finding My Feet

Balcony Air conditioner re-routing hot air - how to do safely and not ugly?

Hello - my first ever post!

I have recently moved in to an apartment whose large AC compressor sits on the outdoor balcony.  With eth AC running indoors the balcony is unbearable due to the significant hot air being pumped directly into the space. 

I would like to build a cowling or ducting from the exhaust fan to the balcony railing.  I know air/fluids prefer  smooth surface for redirecting - i was thinking of building an MDF frame and nailing aluminium sheets to the inside, forming a nicely curved shape away from the seating area along the wall.   I would also like to box in the top so it could be used as a table/herb bench still serving some utility whilst teh hot air is ducted away to the outdoors.  

It would need to be weatherproof so I know MDF isnt ideal but I dont have any clue as to how to build a curved form any other way. 
Am i on the right track?  Hard to capture the curveHard to capture the curvePlan view. Idea to minimise space invasion and have a useable surfacePlan view. Idea to minimise space invasion and have a useable surface

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Balcony Air conditioner re-routing hot air - how to do safely and not ugly?

Hi @2ManyIdeas 

I like your plans  and see what yo are doing.

Lets play what if  for a second and see if  it is possible . 

What if the air con could be mounted 90 degrees to blow hot air directly towards the outdoors.?

An  air con guy should have aircon ground mounting kit and the refrigeration pipe will have to be re modeled possibly.  That way your cupboard will be more stream lined for the long term.

In  fact why dont they move the A/C to the outer edge of the balcony pointing outwards. 

Plan  B Leave  air con in situ.

Why not by some timber tables juggling sizes etc and screw ply (better than mdf in outdoor settings 4mm thick) onto the table legs an or outer table edge (at need add timber frame to support frame.)      A  table can be trimmed off to fit and legs  re positioned.

As  far as aero dynamics  goes you can make angled turns are almost as good as curved.  Even square turns are not horrible as long as they have larger volumn than the  fan.  The height under the table will be plenty allowing hot air out.

Welll some ideas to build on. :smile:

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @2ManyIdeas. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about air-conditioners.

I really like your idea but, unfortunately, the manufacturers wouldn't recommend it. It would be best to contact the manufacturer of your unit and discuss your project with them. I can only speak on behalf of the manufacturers of the units we supply, but any home-brew modification like a cowling or ducting from the exhaust or table above the unit would be considered an obstruction. See your installation guide for setback requirements. Air-cons are designed to exhaust out with no back pressure. If you build ducting, the air-con must push the hot air along the duct for a considerable distance, and they are not designed to do this. By enclosing the unit with a table above it and within the setback zone and installing ducting on the exhaust, the machine will likely experience a build-up in temperature.

If you are keen to give this project a go, I'd suggest the first place to start would be with the manufacturer and requesting their guidance, as I'd hate to see you go to this effort only to find the modifications overheat and destroy the aircon.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I see people building boxes and shades and all sorts for their AC compressors here in this forum - the cowling would be of a volume that no back-pressure should build - essentially equivalent to moving the box to the balcony edge, with no flow restriction via reduction in venting dimensions. 

I will first investigate the rotation of the unit, and then contemplate a straight tunnel-like box-tube to the balcony edge, maintaining maximum flow volume, and will not restrict the intake side in any way.  Currently the unit running as is, the ambient temperature is a good 5-7 degees higher than ambient on the balcony, which i feel would be more of an issue in the cooling capacity of the unit than the proposed ducting.  With the hot air directed outside, the intake will be free to draw in much cooler air.   

Much like going from having your intake airbox in your hot engine bay, to having it ducted from the wheel arch instead.  

That's all understood @2ManyIdeas. But, I can only relay what the manufacturer of the air-con would likely suggest, and that's no modifications or cowlings can be added to their units. It's best to first consult the manufacturer to ensure your warranty will not be compromised by such modifications.

Regarding enclosing the air-con with screening, as you've seen on the site, this, in most cases, does not comply with the manufacturer's installation directions. The screening comes within the setback exclusion zone and, therefore, voids the warranty if an issue occurs. I've investigated these types of questions extensively with our air-con manufacturers, and their response has always been that nothing can be placed within the exclusion zone that could potentially impede air intake or output. I agree that your proposed cowling would likely not impede output. However, that's a discussion you'd need to have with the manufacturer, I just wanted to make you aware that you might run into issues if the unit was to fail.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi  @2ManyIdeas  @MitchellMc  has to adhere the manufactures guidelines as a member of bunnings team and they have certain valid points.   And your right others have built hoods and covers here with no issues

I think the best solution is to extend you unit along the wall and if possible exaust out off the balcony no box needs to be built then just a a table etc.

a bit of an nucence to do by an air con guy as they must collect your  gas  do the extra tubing and wiring at need.  probably cost $500

Like i ran an internal air con unit free standing  and the first thing they get you do is put on a bendy pipe 2Ms  long to redirect the air out a window.

Your original air redirection plan would recquire a box  greatly protruding  at the end  until  it could be redirected  flatter to wall.

Another  idea is a secondary fan sucking  hot air and blowing the air at the end of the tunnel at need.

Your the boss of this  project @2ManyIdeas  as you heard the pros and cons you now can decide

Hi @2ManyIdeas 

I just had a big cost saving  idea for you.

Why dont you put off this improvement  untill you replace your current aircon that  way a new installer can mount the exaust  any where you wish  I would tell them pre  job  what you  wanted so they can get a floor stand if needed for  your new air con. 

Mean while you can still add a table there  where you planned ducting was  to  go.

Mostly cost all built into install price.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects