Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best vitex deck cleaning approach

Tahirua27
Finding My Feet

Best vitex deck cleaning approach

I've just had a large new vitex deck installed and want to give it a good clean - the landscapers did a lot of walking over it with muddy boots! (I don't want to oil or stain it - I am happy for it to go silver.) I have a K2 Karcher Water Blaster (1750 psi) with a small nozzle. I tried using this but it will take me forever to do the whole deck - it feels like "colouring in" a big area with a felt-tip rather than a big paint brush! 

Is there a better way to do this? Do I need a different attachment for the Karcher (eg the T 7 PLUS T-Racer SURFACE CLEANER)? Or is it better just to use a broom connected to a hose with some special cleaning product in it? If I did this, what is the best cleaning product and broom attachment? 

Thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best vitex deck cleaning approach

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Tahirua27. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about deck cleaning.

The Karcher T7 Surface Cleaner will undoubtedly increase the cleaning footprint of your Karcher sprayer. It will make covering the area a much more efficient process. 

Be careful with what type of cleaning fluid you use on an unsealed deck as you could inadvertently discolour it. You might like to use a very mild solution of dishwashing liquid and warm water. A stiff bristle broom will also help to agitate the caked-on mud. Or, even better, the Karcher PS30 Power Scrubber.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell! Which one would be best out of the Karcher Surface Cleaner or the Power Scrubber?

Will these attachments mean though that the force of the pressure is reduced so it doesn't blast the dirt as well?

I will also be cleaning limestone tiles so would these work for those too?

Many thanks

@Tahirua27,

I'd say you'll get the most use out of the Karcher Surface Cleaner. You'll be able to use it again for any large surface areas you have to clean, including the limestone tiles. The high-pressure nozzle just rotates inside the housing on a spinning arm, so the pressure isn't reduced. It just covers more surface area quicker.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell. 

The Karcher Surface Cleaner details say that it needs a K4 to K7 pressure washer. I only have a K2. Would I need to upgrade to use this?

Cheers

Can I buy a Karcher Water Blaster that comes with the Surface Cleaner? Or does this have to be bought as an accessory? I don't need the car cleaning kit.

@Tahirua27,

Sorry, you mentioned the T7 initially, and I didn't check its specs. The Karcher T 5 T-Racer Surface Cleaner suits your K2.

Mitchell

Is that in stock in NZ? It won't let me order via delivery or click and collect. I'm in Auckland.

Hi @Tahirua27,

There does seem to be an issue with acquiring stock for that item at the moment. I can see all our stores are currently out of stock. I know some suppliers have been having difficulty supplying products due to operational limitations at the moment. It might be a situation where we need to wait for the product to become available with the supplier. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects