Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best way to stump a deck?

morgan794377
Just Starting Out

Best way to stump a deck?

Hi everyone,

I’m currently planning out a decking project and I’m trying to sort out a list of everything I need. I’m not sure what the best way is to install my posts.

I’ve read the Bunnings guide that says to use bitumen paint and to concrete the posts directly into the ground. But I’ve also heard that the bolt-down post anchors are an option. I’m curious, what is the best option here?

I like the sound of the post anchors because it seems like they help the wood last longer, but I’m think making sure the posts are level might be a bit harder..

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best way to stump a deck?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @morgan794377. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing deck supports.

Personally, I like post anchors as they raise the timber above ground level well away from moisture.

Whether you are using post anchors or concreting your posts directly into the ground, you'd leave them oversized and higher than your finished level. Once the posts are in position you can set up string lines at the finished height, which are levelled with a string level. You'll then cut all the posts to the same height.

This method is far easier than cutting the correct length post and fixing it in position at the right height.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects