Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best way to temporarily clamp splitting post?

MichaelD
Just Starting Out

Best way to temporarily clamp splitting post?

The post in my pic is splitting.  It's under load of the roof over my deck. I'm looking to help the post survive until i replace it. I'm thinking a large heavy duty clamp (or two) to stop it splitting any further.  Any better ideas to temporarily help this post survive?

IMG20240312112304.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best way to temporarily clamp splitting post?

Hello @MichaelD 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about clamping your post.

To temporarily clamp the post and prevent it from splitting further, I propose using 70x35 H3 in combination with Zenith M12 x 200mm Hot Dipped Galvanised Hex Head Bolt And Nut along with Zenith M12 Hot Dipped Galvanised Washer.

I suggest cutting the 70 x 35 in 200mm lengths and placing one on each side and using the bolts to hold them together. I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea of how you can build the timber clamps. If you have some left-over paint in your shed, I suggest painting the timber so that it will not stand out too much.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MichaelD
Just Starting Out

Re: Best way to temporarily clamp splitting post?

Thanks Eric.  Looks good.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects