Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bluestone rounds for front garden path

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bluestone rounds for front garden path

This was my long weekend project - a rambling path from the front gate to the front door. We have a side driveway but it usually has cars parked in it, forcing you to walk on the grass to the front door. That's fine during summer, but in wet weather it's a little problematic. 

Bluestone pavers.png

We really like the rustic look of these bluestone rounds. We've used them as pavers elsewhere around the house. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
alyce
Finding My Feet

Re: Bluestone rounds for front garden path

Love this! 

We have the same issue with our driveway and looking at doing something very similar. 

Can I ask how you got them to sit in the ground? Have you concreted them in? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @alyce,

Thanks for your interest. 

I used rounds that are 30mm thick and as long as 800mm so they are big and heavy. I don't believe there's a need for concrete in this application but you do obviously need to work to get them level. I removed the turf and some dirt so we can easily mow over the top of them, then added paving sand to ensure a stable base.

You might also be interested in this project by @Kate23 - Bluestone rounds to replace lawn. Kate mentions that she did concrete hers in. I certainly would if I was using smaller pavers otherwise they would move. 

Jason

alyce
Finding My Feet

Makes sense! If they are that heavy they won’t move especially if only for visitors and not heavy traffic. Thanks for getting back to me, really helpful!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Just took an updated shot of how the pavers look nearly four years on...

Every now and then we trim the grass back as it has a tendency to grow over the pavers too much. 

Jason

IMG_0071.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects