Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building a playground fort on existing slab

Droppo84
Just Starting Out

Building a playground fort on existing slab

Hi there,

I was looking to build a timber structure around my pool equipment that doubled as a climbing fort. 

There is an existing slab that I was thinking of using as the base and using post stirrups to anchor the posts to the concrete. I was wondering if this would be structurally safe for climbing, or if I am better to dig and concrete the posts in beside the slab? The fence is going to be moved. So that area will be clear.

also just want to confirm what sort of posts I should be using if concreted in and/or with post stirrups.

thanks in advance

442D8C63-C286-4E0A-B9A0-83D53249883A.jpeg

151A9E78-F52A-4580-B2E0-EAF7C9BA9706.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Building a playground fort on existing slab

Hello @Droppo84

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a playground fort around an existing slab.

If the slab's thickness is around 100mm, it would be safe to use Pryda Post Anchor bolt down. However, if the slab is not thick your other option is to dig and make a cement footing for the post. I recommend using  Merbau 90 x 90mm 2.4m DAR Laminated Post. It is naturally resistant to fungi and insects like termites and dry wood borers. If properly maintained Merbau timber will last a long time.

It sounds like a fantastic project, I'm sure our members are keen to see your plans for this area. This would be a great way of hiding the pool pump and keeping the kids entertained at the same time. My only suggestion while you are planning your project is to make sure that you'll still have access to the critical areas of the pump. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to post them. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your playground/pump cover.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects