Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I attach blueboard to my masonry block retaining walls?

gandc1205
Just Starting Out

Can I attach blueboard to my masonry block retaining walls?

These concrete blocks are very porous and tend to hold moisture. Could I cover them with blueboard if using a spacer so it is not flush against the block? What would be the best way to secure it?

20220224_064803.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I attach blueboard to my masonry block retaining walls?

Hello @gandc1205

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your masonry retaining walls.

If you wish to glue the blueboard directly to the masonry, I suggest using Selleys 415g Liquid Nails Landscape Stone Concrete Adhesive.  It's ideal for landscaping projects. It has a weather-resistant, high-strength, flexible and shockproof bond, making it ideal for bonding pavers to concrete, stabilising stone and interlocking masonry retaining walls, and stabilising loose stone steps.

However, you mentioned you wanted a gap between the blueboard and the masonry wall. If you want a gap between the masonry wall and the blueboard, I suggest using H3 treated timber. You'll have to cut it down to the size that you want and it will have to be mechanically fixed to the masonry. I suggest using Ramset 10g x 45mm Black Hex Masonry Screw or similar to fix the spacer and blueboard in place.

Is there a reason why you want a spacer? Can you please tell us more about your plans? This will give our members a better idea of what you want to achieve in your project. We can then make recommendations on how to build it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi. Thanks for your reply. My concern is that the masonary blocks retain moisture for an extended period and the blueboard may quickly deteriorate if there isn't a gap between the two. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @gandc1205

Blueboard is an excellent product for exterior use. It can be used for cladding, if you wish to put extra protection on it, I suggest painting it to add a layer of defence from the weather. However you decide to mount it, the blueboard will be strong enough for outside use.

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects