Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I connect a BBQ to this gas outlet?

wainscot
Finding My Feet

Can I connect a BBQ to this gas outlet?

Screenshot_20240311-214306_Gallery.jpg

  I have a LPG gas bottle connected to the stove, but the gas also runs to this outlet here. Can I connect a regular BBQ to this outlet? Do I need an adapter? What is this connection point called?

Appreciate any light you can shed, so I can get cooking with gas! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I connect a BBQ to this gas outlet?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @wainscot. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting a BBQ to a gas outlet.

I would presume that's a natural gas connection point. Typically BBQs designed to run on LPG require a natural gas conversion kit to operate on the different gas. The kit contains a different regulator and jets that need to be replaced in the BBQ. The kits require a licensed gas fitter to install them and make the connection to this outlet.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi MitchellMc

Thanks so much for the reply!

We don't have natural gas at our place - we have a 45kg LPG gas cylinder that fuels our kitchen stove top and leads to the photographed connection point. 

Given it's LPG, how would I best connect a BBQ to it?

I currently have a Weber BBQ with what looks to me like a typical male threaded end.

Kind regards

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @wainscot 

I'm afraid you'll still need to engage the services of a registered gas fitter as the modifications and fittings will need to be certified by the gas fitter. The docket they will provide needs to be included in your insurance paperwork. It will show that the modifications were carried out by a licensed gas fitter.

I suggest showing your BBQ to the gas fitter so that they know what fittings to install. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks so much for the reply. 

Any guesses as to why the previous home owner had this connection point installed, connected to LPG supply? What can you connect to this connection point?

Kind regards

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @wainscot 

I can only hazard a guess, possibly a specialized outdoor heater. However, I suspect that the fitting that is there right now is not compatible with a standard BBQ hose fitting.

Eric

Thanks so much! You've been very helpful.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects