Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I render a Limestone wall?

womby36
Building a Reputation

Can I render a Limestone wall?

So we’ve just laid some beautiful travertine in our backyard. 
The issue is that now the limestone walls look dirty in comparison. (They we’re revived not long ago with bleach) 

I’ve read that you CAN actually render limestone walls, if you add something into the mix? 
Can you bond-Crete it first? 
Can I bond-Crete and render, or bond-Crete and clad with stone? (Another option). 

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I render a Limestone wall?

Hello @womby36

That is an excellent layout of your travertine flooring, it looks like it was laid out by a veteran tradesperson. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Can you paint reconstituted limestone blocks? by @kristian. The subject matter of rendering was mentioned in the discussion. One of the drawbacks is that eventually, the moisture from the limestone blocks will push through the render and discolour the surface of the render.

It's not that you can't render it, it just won't be an effective covering. I suggested however covering it instead using Ekodeck, it's non-organic and is made for exterior use. It comes in multiple colours and looks and feels like timber.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
womby36
Building a Reputation

Thanks for replying, Eric.

Yes the tradesperson came highly recommended and did an amazing job of laying in the French pattern. And those cuts into a cribbed wall/pool!

I have read that post, the issue is cost. The limestone retaining wall is about 40m long, so ekodeck is a very expensive option! 
Having just put down expensive stone, we’re hoping for something cheaper. 
cheers. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @womby36 

That is quite a long wall to cover with Ekodeck! My other recommendation would be to give the limestone another wash, but this time once the limestone totally dries off, I suggest sealing it with Crommelin 15L Limestone and Sandstone Sealer. Crommelin's Limestone and Sandstone Sealer is a unique penetrating water repellent and binder. 

It provides a hydrophobic barrier and help's bind together soft and friable natural stones, yet remains highly breathable. It also contains a fungicide, to help prevent the growth of mould.

Here is a handy step-by-step video:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
womby36
Building a Reputation

Thanks, Eric - that's a good idea. I might try this in summer.

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects