Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I repaint the painted porch fence without sanding?

Lilau
Finding My Feet

Can I repaint the painted porch fence without sanding?

Hello,

I am completely new to painting, just need someone advise me whether I can paint the painted wood fence without sanding?

If so, what sort of process and materials should i need before painting? Further, what type of paint is suitable for the outdoor painted wood fence?

Thank you very much in advance. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can I repaint the painted porch fence without sanding?

Hi @Lilau,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

The preparation needed really depends on the condition of the fence's existing paint. If you don't have a stable surface to paint over, then you'll end up with a poor result. Could you please share some photos of the fence so the community can provide specific advice?

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Lilau

My colleague's recommendation is spot on. If your fence was formerly painted and the paint is beginning to split, crack and curl, I'm afraid it will need to be sanded down. However, if it was only oiled or stained the same process can be applied to it without having to sand the fence down. But it will be necessary to wash and clean the fence before attempting to re-oil it.

We look forward to seeing your photos.

Eric

Lilau
Finding My Feet

Thank you Eric and Jason, 

I just sanded down the whole fence, can I also also primer on the surface before painting my desired monument paint colour? 

If you do not mind, could you please kindly advice:

- suitable primer for the wood fence

- suitable type of paint (oil, chalk or ?)

- at last, any protective layer should i apply after painting 

Thank you very much in advance. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Lilau

If you've thoroughly sanded the fence, I suggest washing the fence to get rid of all the sawdust and debris that has been left behind. Once the fence is dry, I suggest using Dulux Weathershield on your fence, it is self-priming, has UV protection and has been formulated to resist mould, dirt and stains.

This paint is for exterior use and does not need any other extra coating to protect it. In regards to the finish, I suggest using a low sheen finish, this finish is less susceptible to dirt and is easy to clean should any stains attach themselves to its surface.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your fence painting project.

Eric  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects