Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I use builders plastic to protect timber fence?

abhi3089
Finding My Feet

Can I use builders plastic to protect timber fence?

Hi,

I have recently moved into my newly built house. I have got the fencing and concreting done around the house, and have decided to do the landscaping by myself. As I am reading through a lot of posts, where it is advised to use H4 timber to protect the fence, the issue I have is the limited space between the concrete and the fence itself. I want to fill the gap with the top soil so that I can plant the native plants. Someone suggested an economical way of doing it by stapling the Building Plastic Film to protect the fence part that is going to get in touch with the soil. This will protect the fence without sacrificing on the gap between the fence and the concrete. Can someone please advise if this is the appropriate way of doing it? I have attached some pictures for the reference.

Thank you in advance.

IMG-20240104-WA0005.jpgIMG-20240104-WA0010.jpgIMG-20240104-WA0011.jpgIMG-20240104-WA0012.jpgIMG-20240104-WA0014.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Can I use Building plastic film to protect timber fence?

Good Evening @abhi3089 

Congratulations first up on your new house! :smile: Id be itching to do things as well :smile:

I dont like the idea of a plastic film to protect the timber, it dosnt stop you tho. The fence pailings are on the far side so any buildup of soil on your side will want to push the bottom of the pailings away from you into your neighbours yard with time. 😕 

The second part is you need somewhere for the water to go to, Have you noticed what it is like when it rains yet? 

Looking at the photos there does seem to be a horizontal piece of timber across the base of the fence, is this a decorative piece or have the neighbours installed it? (it kind of looks like a beam meantto hold the soil from going between the yards) Do you know if the land drops down on the other side of the fence? Great news tho I can see a downpipe going into the soil in your first pic! :smile: You have somewhere to run ag pipe if you need to! :smile:

You could definently dig up some of the poorer sections of dirt between the fence posts (Thinking of the concrete used at the fence posts and the distance you have to play with) and put in healthier (non builder rubble) soil and plant natives, Id probarlly suggest to bark chip mulch the strip rather then backfill the lot with soil. It will allow drainage and shouldnt push against the fence pailings. 

When deciding on what natives you want to plant Id take some soil with you to a garden place or Bunnings and do a ph test to comapre with the plants you want verse your soil type you have now.

Dave

hi @abhi3089 

It looks like the fence already has a barrier as  @Dave-1  pointed out the horizontal strip at the base.

But if you wanted an other barrier your side i would cut up  strips  of villaboard 6mm and attach it screw it to your fence rails .  

I used villaboard and it stopped a lot of neibours weeds invading  our  garden  bed through and under the fence. I am  with  Dave plastic wont work longer term.  It will ealily hold  dirt or wood  chips to as you wish to level that gap betweem concrte and fence.

James Hardie 2400 x 1200 x 6mm 2.88m² Villaboard Lining - 2400 x 1200 x 6

I/N: 0714174   $41.20

Enjoy your new home people.

Hi @Dave-1 ,

Thank you for your response. The drainage is pretty good when it rains. I haven't seen any water holding on the soil even when it rains heavily. 

There is a beam to hold the soil installed by my fencing contractor however it is not H4 timber. I reckon it is H3 only. If I add the soil, would it be okay for this timber to hold it and not rot? There is no drop on the other side of the fence. However, neighbors haven't done there side of landscaping yet. Once they are done with soil fill, I assume this horizontal piece of timber will have support from both sides.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely dig and put some healthy soil and will fill the garden bed with mulch. 

I will surely do a pH test and add the composite accordingly.

Abhi

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @abhi3089 

The timber should hold it, all timber rots down over time so keep that in mind. Id be leaving it as is for now. You may find that when the other side of the fence do their landscaping and you have yours done that there is no need for it anymore.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @abhi3089,

That plinth should always be H4 treated along with your posts. I've never heard of an H3 plinth; its job is to hold back soil. Under those circumstances, an H3 piece of timber wouldn't last much more than a couple of years.

You could paint the whole lower section below the soil level with bitumen paint or install H4 plinths between the posts so they don't encroach on your space; no need to install them proud of the posts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for your inputs @Dave-1@Jewelleryrescue and @MitchellMc. I really appreciate it. I have got the gist of what needs to be done and will apply the bitumen paint as advised and go ahead with my project of landscaping from there on. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @abhi3089, and please reach out again if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects