Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can balcony balastrate footings be fixed after tiling?

Gillie1
Growing in Experience

Can balcony balastrate footings be fixed after tiling?

Balcony Balastrate footings. Tiling going to be done - Can footings be done after tiling

IMG_3660.jpegIMG_3661.jpegIMG_3662.jpegIMG_3659.jpegIMG_3660.jpegIMG_3661.jpegIMG_3661.jpegIMG_3659.jpegIMG_3660.jpeg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Can balcony balastrate footings be fixed after tiling?

Evening @Gillie1 

A pain all round 😕 

I wouldnt go for that splint solution. There is one post that has totally gone and would be next to impossible to repair. The others look like they have been eaten halfway through? Not sure what your body courporate rules are but they should be listed for your stucture somewhere?

It could be worthwhile weighing up pain of dealing with the body courporate or paying for the work yourself. When I have priced the glass balcony panels I was surprised at the overall price as it was lower then I expected. 

You could go with stirrups bolted to the patio and a timber railing put in instead. That way no welder required and you cut off the old posts with a grinder then rust converter and then paint them to stop rust continuing.

Dave

Gillie1
Growing in Experience

Dave I think your idea about maybe a timber post as the stabiliser might be a way to proceed (placing it right next to the strut that is rusted through cause it may be unnoticeable in the scheme of things and yes I have raised the issue of the balcony some 7/8yrs ago and ofcourse the balastrate was not so bad then and now due to the privacy laws (according to the Body corp ) and most being rented I get absolutely nowhere. I have raised the idea of glass panels but you need a majority and landlords will not spend money and Body Corp Co’s don’t reply if it is a problem. So as always  I just pay for it although I do let them know of intentions when renovating ( when I had a Bunnings kitchen put in from scratch ) just in case they become nastier than usual.  There is a moral to this story and I think you know what it is …….  It is only a block of 8 and all trouble !!!    Apart from that would that idea be better a wooden strut next to each upright especially focusing on the bottom where they could be cemented in???

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Gillie1 

This are what I was thinking to attach to your concrete balcony, probarly at least 100mm from the edge of the old posts (A Rule I had from installing stuff years ago as you dont want to drill too close to an existing hole) I would  then cut off the old posts and prep the bases so they are flush and rust proofed. Your handyman can check out the posts and the timber types you may want. The height of handrails has changed so that might be something to check. I think it is 900mm in NSW but wiser to check.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Gillie1 

My apologies for the late reply, would it be possible for you to take a photo of the entire steel balustrade? This will give everyone a good idea what the balustrade looks like. It might be possible to replicate the look and feel of the original with new aluminium parts from the store. 

In regards to the splint system you were referring to, it might work but I don't think it will look very nice as the joint of the splint will be very visible. 

Having had a good look at your situation one option that might work for you is using ProtectorAl 1800 x 950mm Black Aluminium Flat Top Square Picket Balustrade Panel. This balustrade fence can be cut down to the size you need which means that you can have your entire balustrade removed and replaced with an all-aluminium fence.

The balustrade fence can then be anchored to the concrete base and sides of the building. I suggest measuring the height width and length of your current balustrade and taking it to the stores special orders desk and asking them for a quote on how much it will cost to make a balustrade to the size that you need.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects