Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can i crazy pave or tile over a limestone wall?

barnettemilyros
Just Starting Out

Can i crazy pave or tile over a limestone wall?

IMG_3848.jpeg

Hi there, 

Just wondering if you can crazy pave over limestone? 
we have an ugly retaining wall/garden bed along our outdoor area and I would love to cover it up. I like the look of crazy paving but don’t know if it would stick against limestone? 
Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can i crazy pave/tile over a limestone wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @barnettemilyros. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about crazy paving.

Whether the tile adhesive can adhere to the limestone wall would dictate if your idea would work. No adhesives specify they would work in this situation, as it's a unique application. You could try Davco 20kg Ultraflex Ceramic Tile Adhesive, as it lists "blockwork" as a suitable substrate, but as this is really an experiment, I can't guarantee how well it will work. Perhaps you could try a small test section in an inconspicuous location before committing to the whole wall. Once the adhesive is dry, ensure the tile piece is well adhered.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Great ok, experiment time 😁

Could another possiblity be covering it with cement Hardie board? And then tiling/paving on to that? Or have I just made that idea up? Haha 😂 

Yes, that would be another experiment, @barnettemilyros. According to the Hardie installation guide, you need to install timber battens to isolate the board from the blocks, but it can be done. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects