Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you build a deck with an aluminium frame?

SujayM
Finding My Feet

Can you build a deck with an aluminium frame?

Hi, I have joined to the community today.

I am planning to build a deck in our newly build house with Aluminum frame and Trex decking. Decking is required to raise 500mm to level with Alfresco. Also, need a landing with 1m height stairs (next to the concrete blocks in the attached photo). Will it be a good idea to use aluminum frame with footings?

Also need help to design the framing (i.e., no of bearers & joistDecking Plan.jpgIMG_4283.jpegs). I have attached a photo with a rough plan.

Thank you for your help.

Sujay

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Aluminum frame Eco-decking Project

Hello @SujayM

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your decking project.

The equivalent product at the store is the Ekodeck Composite Decking. It is resistant to termites, rot, decay, mould and mildew. It comes in several colours and no oiling or painting is required. Since the usable height is 500mm it would be ok to use either wood or steel for your deck framing. The gap underneath is more than enough to provide adequate air circulation to prevent moisture from being trapped under your deck.

I suggest having a look at these guides - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W and How to build a deck by @MitchellMc. These guides should give you an idea of what to consider when planning your decking frame. Because you have a lot of space to use, you'll need to decide whether you'll build it as a normal deck structure or a single deck structure. 

As for the stairs, I recommend having a look at the Ezistep kits.  It can be assembled quickly and easily with a power drill, ideal for when you need to build steps for your deck. The grooved treads are easily assembled as the stringers are routed in for secure and longer-lasting construction.

I suggest checking with your local council on the rules and regulations on deck framing before you begin construction. In regards to the aluminium framing, let me do some investigation and get back to you.     

I also recommend having a look at the Bunnings deck assembly guide: 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you build a deck with an aluminium frame?

HI @SujayM,

Using an aluminium frame for your deck is an option, and I'd suggest the best place to source information on joist and footing spacings for it would be with the manufacturer of that product. Unlike a timber deck frame, there's no universal system for working out the joist and footer spacing for an aluminium or steel deck.

Our suppliers deal with steel deck framing, which is compatible with any type of decking, corrosion and termite-resistant, fire-resistant, and it is available in custom-made sizes. The layout of your framing, including the number of joists, is all prepared by the supplier. Simply provide details of the overall size, and they will work out the requirements and delivery the kit to you. Additional information on footer spacing can be found on Steel-Deck's website in their resources section.

Since you already know your desired size, I'd encourage you to speak with a helpful team member at your local Bunnings store's Special Orders desk. They'll be able to take you through the available sizes and place your custom order.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Aluminum frame Eco-decking Project

Hi EricL, 

Thanks very much for your kind time and reply.

I am still deciding which frame I should consider - steel or aluminum.

thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects