Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you make pre-oiled Merbau decking boards darker?

wasim
Finding My Feet

Can you make pre-oiled Merbau decking boards darker?

Hi Bunnings Team

i am in the process of making a (good times one) modular deck. I am using pre oiled merbau 2.25 m panels. My query is that since it is already pre oiled, how can I make the panels darker  and consistent colour to get rid of the orange shade. Since it’s new, i am wondering whether it is possible at all? Could you please help me sort this out. 

thanks

wasim

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Can you make pre-oiled Merbau decking boards darker?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @wasim. We look forward to following your deck progress and helping along the way.

Let me tag @MGusto and @diy_hausdesigns for their suggestions. @MitchellMc will also be able to help when he's back on the site tomorrow.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you StevieB

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @wasim,

As with the rest of our pre-oiled Merbau timber products, it's really just a transfer coat from the supplier to you, and tannins generally haven't been leeched out of it yet. You can use Cabot's 2L New Timber Prep to strip out tannins or orange shade and then apply your choice of deck oil with Merbau tint. You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to oil your deck.

You might also like to post a picture of the decking so we can see just how orange it is. It might have a slight orange hue, but I wouldn't have thought Merbau would be noticeably orange in colour.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much Mitchell; that solves my query. You are right; it is a slight orange hue not the noticeable orange colour. Your reply solved my dilemma. Sorry for late reply. I will be putting the panels on Sunday and will use the prep and oil you suggested to make the merbau shade more consistent. 
Thanks  a lot.

cheers

wasim 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects