Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you paint an exterior limestone wall?

lollymc1984
Finding My Feet

Can you paint an exterior limestone wall?

Hello, 

We want to update our courtyard area. Every area is very cream from the pavers, so the limestone wall to the cream pergola.

I see conflicting information about whether you can paint or render limestone bricks? If anyone has some advice on what we could do to the limestone wall tjay would be so helpful!

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting exterior limstone wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lollymc1984. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting limestone blockwork.

You can paint limestone blocks, though, as with standard bricks, it prevents them from breathing and transpiring any moisture. So, if you have any existing moisture-related issues with the wall, those should be dealt with before considering painting it.

Have you considered painting the pavers or pergola? That would minimise the amount of cream colours in the area and prevent you from dealing with potential issues with painting the walls.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much for such a quick reply Mitchell! So happy I stumbled across this community 😁

We have so many ideas of what we could do with the space, so it’s great to have an idea of what we can and can’t do. We might replace the pergola eventually with a retractable cover so we can get a bit more natural light in. We might look at doing something different with the pavers…do you think they are able to be painted over or even panels put over the top?

image.jpg

Absolutely, @lollymc1984, painting the paving can be a great way to spruce things up! We've got a huge selection of paving paints to choose from, and the process is quite straightforward. Just start with a good cleaning using a high-pressure washer, and you'll be on your way to giving your space a fresh and appealing look! Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to paint a concrete driveway. It's an identical process for your paving.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects