Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use composite decking as pool coping?

Simon1988
Just Starting Out

Can you use composite decking as pool coping?

Hi all,
I recently had a 5.5m in-ground fibreglass pool installed with a surrounding drop beam but without any tiles. I am now looking at putting eko deck around it but don't want lift the profile of the pool by 50-60mm by putting a frame over the top of the pool edge and drop beam. I know that cementing a coping tile around the pool would keep the hight down to around 20mm but would prefer to have deck round it.
I would like to know if anyone had installed composite decking directly onto the pool edge/drop beam with liquid nails or similar, or know what issues i may have by doing so?
Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you use composite decking as pool coping?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Simon1988. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Eko-decking.

Eko-deck requires a minimum of 90mm ground clearance under it to provide ventilation for the boards. Without the ventilation underneath, you'll find it gets exceptionally hot during summer, expanding and contracting more than it already does. Even with ventilation, steps need to be taken with breaker boards to ensure the expansion and contraction is minimised.

Also, the decking is made from 90% reclaimed timber and recycled plastic, so it can't be adhered to a surface where moisture could be trapped under it. Fixing the boards down with glue at one end will cause issues when the boards naturally expand and contract.

You might like to post pictures of the pool, drop beam and surrounding area. That way, our members will have a better understanding of what solutions could work.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects