Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Canopia Dallas 4900 gazebo assembly

Heychy
Cultivating a Following

Canopia Dallas 4900 gazebo assembly

Hey all, just posting the process of prepping the ground and erection of our Dallas 4900 gazebo purchased through special orders. The ground it is assembled on was fairly sloped and with its wind rating of 110kmh I needed to make sure the footings were solid as. It has stood up to 100kmh gusts and barely moves.

Materials

Can`t give exact numbers.

200 x 50 treated pine sleepers

crushed rock and bags of cement

synthetic grass

dyna bolts

treated pine self drilling screws

star pickets

Tools

18v Ozito PXC impact driver

18v Ozito PXC drill driver ( this job killed it after 6 years of heavy use)

36v Ozito PXC hedge trimmer

Ozito 240v blower vac with steel blades

Petrol operated post hole digger and 300mm auger

Full Boar vibrating plate, shovels and 

Ozito slide compound saw and stand

Ozito stapler

Ramset drill

Square and pencil

Craftright level and Stanley 8m measuring tape

Cement mixer

String line and tent pegs

Steps

Step 1

I cleaned and cleared the area where the walls of the base were to be positioned to level up the ground. I also began to run the string lines for the right level.    1Start 2.jpg

Step 2

Here, I started running the treated pine sleepers. As the slope was fairly steep, I dug in some of the sleepers and with supports, lifted the others to create the level area to

work with.

.2Prep 1.jpg

Step 3

Once I had it level to my liking, I boxed in the 4 corners.  I proceeded to drill four 300mm holes to create the footings. Mixing 4 parts crushed rock to 1.5 parts cement in the cement mixer, I created the footings which included the boxing and the outer sleepers for greater depth. Once the footings were dry, I proceeded to then fill the area with lots and lots of crushed rock which I packed in thin layers to get the best compaction. To level it up, I screed the rock with a straight edge to get it right.

2Prep 3.jpg

Step 4

Got the synthetic lawn over and rolled it into position. I squared it up and pegged it into the ground. I also used gal staples to fix it to the sides.  Now it was looking great!!3Lawn up 2.jpg3Lawn up 3.jpg

Step 5

Now, I created the steps to access this area and the BBQ area. I had stretched it out as best as I could.3Lawn up 5.jpg

Step 6

Now the best part began. My wife, 2 sons and their partners started to construct this gazebo. Following the instructions to a tee, the assembly ran great. Once we got it to this point, we squared the feet, cut away the synthetic lawn so as to have an accurate footing point and fixed the brackets into the concrete. Bolting the posts to the footings stabilized it nicely.

4Construction 2.jpg4Construction 3.jpg

Step 7

The roofing was added as well as the bracings and wallah, the gazebo was finished. It is a nice touch to our backyard.

4Construction 5.jpg

Step 8

And here it is in all its glory. I let the concrete dry for 5 days to get the best purchase on the dynabolts. It took 1 day to put it up and it hasn`t moved in the serious winds we have in the dividing range. Next project is the spa area.4Construction 4.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Canopia Dallas 4900 gazebo assembly

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Heychy. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your project.

You've done an excellent job preparing the space for your new gazebo and I love that you went with the synthetic grass. It appears that you've created a solid foundation that I'm sure will last for many years to come.

Many thanks for sharing your project and I can't wait to see what project you tackle next.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Heychy
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell,

I have enough decking around the house and the green just gives a relaxing feel.

I will upload my spa area project soon.

Cheers

Alex

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Heychy 

Now that is some serious prep work! And really I dont think those concrete blocks will be shifting anytime soon :smile:

It has come up so nicely, I really like the edge you placed around the base. It looks pretty swish.

I have looked at those gazebos so many times and always wonder what they would come up like. They come up nicely!

Dave

Heychy
Cultivating a Following

Hi @Dave-1 , 

Thanks for the feedback.  The winds where we are are regularly gale force to damaging.  Stood under her and just a wiggle every gust. Now the weather has improved, it is great to sit under with the family. You are right with how they come up. Real nice 👍

Alex

khalidrajput
Just Starting Out

Hi.

I have a question as I am in midst of assembling this one at my home.

These roof plastic holders. Do they go

1000069865.jpg

1000069864.jpg

all the way in or just a bit out like in picture.

Hi @khalidrajput,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and thanks for joining in the discussion.

Let me tag @Heychy so he is aware of your question about the gazebo assembly. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be happy to assist by tracking down the installation documentation if possible, 

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @khalidrajput 

If you still have your installation instructions, you'll see on page 25 that the roof plastic holders are actually short and do not go all the way. But in regards to its installation, I believe you've done it correctly. If it is not in the correct place, you would not be able to put in the edge locking piece at the bottom of the roof panel. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects