Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Caravan reno: Mum's home away from home

annetteraye
Just Starting Out

Caravan reno: Mum's home away from home

This is my 92 year old mothers home away from home. It was very tired and there was rust breaking through in numerous places. She loves travelling and has crossed the Nullarbor on her own twice this year already. She is currently house sitting in Melbourne so I decided to give it a makeover. I have used recycled palette timber wherever possible and up cycled some old pieces of furniture. I am very happy with the results. Of course the screws, silicone, liquid nails, rust proof materials, pot rivets and tools all came from my local Bunnings Armadale store. 

Materials

• Pallet wood
  • Recycled furniture
  • Paint
  • Rustproofing
  • Silicone
  • Liquid nails
  • Screws and rivets
  • Wooden bench tops. 

Tools

• Grinder 
  • orbital sander
  • belt sander
  • drill
  • driver
  • reciprocating saw
  • Circular Saw 
  • rivet gun

All purchased from Bunnings Armadale WA

Steps

Step 1

I began by stripping the van of all of its interior. I had not intended to do this but there was a lot of rust in the floor and welding joins. After grinding and sanding the rust I treated it with rust proof materials I purchased from Bunnings. 

IMG_3215.jpeg

Step 2

then lined most of the interior with the wood. I added the furniture and then painted the surfaces with varnish. The bed was made from a daybed that was in need of some tlc. I found an aluminium bowl to use as a basin. I then added all the finishing touches, shelves, lighting curtains linen etc.

IMG_3557.jpeg

Step 3

I found an aluminium bowl to use as a basin. I then added all the finishing touches, shelves, lighting curtains linen etc. 

IMG_3557.jpeg

Step 4

IMG_3730.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mums home away from home

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @annetteraye. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing this wonderful project.

Your dedication to creating a home away from home for your mother is truly heartwarming. I love the use of recycled palette timber and upcycled furniture as it really adds some warmth to the space. It also looks like you've thoroughly planned out the project and there is a place for everything you'd need on the road. 

I'm sure your mother will be making many more trips in her newly renovated caravan and will be thrilled with your efforts.

Well done!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects