Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Chicken nesting box

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Chicken nesting box

Hens Nest 6.jpgA friend asked if I could make a chicken nesting box for her two backyard chickens, here is the result.
I planed up some pallet boards to equal thickness and made the framework using pocket hole screw joints.
Hens Nest 1.jpg
Then glued and brad nailed the back panels using a couple MDF pieces cut to size for the spacing of the middle frames.
Hens Nest 2.jpgHens Nest 3.jpg
I had a Plywood crate that was being thrown away at work so I cut that up to be the internal lining of the nesting boxes.
Hens Nest 4.jpg
I glued and brad nailed tose in place then continued on with the outer cladding.
Hens Nest 5.jpg
I finished the back then the floor and a couple strips on the front, she had supplied some plastic trays that she will place in each position.
Hens Nest 8.jpg
The side/end cladding was supposed to go full width but I accidentally cut the boards too small so I decided to cut them smaller and glue them inside the outer frame (some were even the correct width, lol)
Hens Nest 7.jpgHens Nest 6.jpg
And voila one finished Chicken Nesting Box. (I will fill the nail holes with beeswax and she will apply a varnish finish)

Wood Working with Wayne
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Chicken Nesting Box

Looks fantastic @Wayne. Many thanks for sharing. As always, I'm sure your terrific work will inspire other members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jamie23
Finding My Feet

Re: Chicken nesting box

Looking good mate my only suggestion would be to have a perch at the front door so the girls can jump on it and get comfortable otherwise I'm happy to make something like this 

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

This looks awesome @Wayne, going to love to see what it looks like when it's had the varnish applied to it. Are you going to build a ramp / porch to make life a little easier for the Chickens getting in and out of this? 

I wish my Rotties would let me have Chickens so I could build stuff like this 😭

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Wayne

Those chickens are going to be so spoiled, that chicken nesting box looks top-notch. 

Thank you for sharing such a great project.

Eric

Caron
Making a Splash

Wow - the girls will love this - we need pics of them utilising them!  Great job!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jamie23 and thanks for joining in the discussion. We are looking forward to seeing you share your own projects and plans. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. As you can see, we have loads of clever and creative people here in the Workshop community who would love to see your work and who are sharing new ideas and advice every day.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects