Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Choosing a latch and lock for side-gate - and how to mount it

carpedion
Cultivating a Following

Choosing a latch and lock for side-gate - and how to mount it

Hi everyone, I just moved into a house and we're looking to replace our side-gate latch with a simple, i was thinking, combination lock. We want locked access when entering from the street, but easy access when leaving the house through the gate as we'll be taking bikes, bins down the side. 

I was wondering something like the below lock could work. but if you look at the photos below, I don't really understand how I'd affix this to brick. Does anyone have any suggestions for a) a latch and lock and b) how we'd do this all? As you can tell, I don't really have a clue so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ikonic-satin-chrome-digital-entry-lock_p0223202

IMG_2400.jpgIMG_2402.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Choosing a latch and lock for side-gate - and how to mount it

Hello @carpedion

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about how to choose a lock for your side gate.

The Ikonic Satin Chrome Digital Entry Lock is perfect for when you need secure access but require the convenience of keyless entry. The entry Lock requires you to have a minimum door thickness of 35mm otherwise the lock will be loose and non-effective. I suggest adding wood to your mounting point on the fence with three cut-out rectangles at 15cm x 20cm. I recommend using the 897 x 600 x 12mm Project Panel BC Plywood

I suggest painting the rectangles white so that they will not get damaged in the rain. Drill pilot holes so that all three rectangular panels will be sandwiched together. Once they are mounted you can now begin installing the lock, please note it is also important to see where the locking bolt will settle once you've assembled the lock. 

Let me tag our experienced members @tom_builds and @JoeAzza  for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi  @carpedion

That is such a good idea, installing a combination lock on an entry gate. Just adding to @EricL  suggestion, the lock should come with a striker plate, this is to be mounted on the door jamb. If not, you can buy them. separately from Bunnings.

JoeAzza_0-1631835624804.png

carpedion
Cultivating a Following

Hi everyone, good news, I had a locksmith install this gate for me yesterday (I realised it was going to be far too challenging doing this myself). I used your instructions to relay to the locksmith what I was wanting and he did a great job. 

Thanks so much for your help - see photos below

IMAGE 2021-09-23 07_31_36.jpgIMAGE 2021-09-23 07_31_32.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

It's fantastic to hear that the Bunnings Workshop community was able to help with this project @carpedion.

What's next?

Stevie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @carpedion 

Thank you so much for the photo updates. I'm glad we could help out, I recommend painting the exposed timber so that it will be protected from the weather. If you have any other ongoing projects, please don't hesitate to share them. We would be more than happy to provide advice and information should you need it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects