Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Composite decking with decking frame

rajan558
Getting Established

Composite decking with decking frame

I would.like to build outdoor decking see attach plan just want to get help in 

Frame is 90 x 45 mm treated pine 

Decking is composite 137 x 23 mm

Need to create 2 x 2.1 x 5 m frame and join in order to get 2.1 x 10m frame one side length is 10 m and other side is 8 m. 

So my question is 

1. Since I can get 5.4 m lengths only what's the best way to put my decking so I can get most out of 5.4 length.

2. Need to put joist hanger which way I can put that in easy way with less cutting.

3. The floor is concrete but have a big slope so what I can use in order to balance the frame . 

4. The space in hard line joist needs to be 1 m and dotted joist is 450mm 

5. Need to put wired hand railing with wooden post around 70mm x 70 mm what's best way to join to decking .

6.what would be the length of diagnol pine frame at both end. 

7. Would I be able make bench and table with composite decking if I use metal frames same as merbau 

Thanks 

20201104_212808.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Composite decking with decking frame

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop Community @rajan558. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

You might like to start with this article: How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W.

You will loose 1.2 meters off every board if you lay the decking across the 2.1 meter width. However, they will be continuous lengths with no joins. You could lay your decking along the 8-10 meter length of the deck though you will need to stagger the boards to achieve this. In answer to your question, you will get the most out of your boards by laying them along the 8-10 meter length of the deck but it will require more cutting and effort in sorting and staggering the boards. There will still be wastage and personally, I would be sacrificing the 1.2 meters off each board and laying the decking across the 2.1 meter width.

The joist spacing using 90 x 45mm pine will likely be at 450mm centres. The way it needs to be arranged is determined by the direction you are laying your decking. There is not really an easy way with less cutting available for me to advise on.

Adjustable supports like the Eurotec Pro Feet Pedestal could be helpful in levelling the deck. Alternatively, you can use brackets Dynabolted into the ground and fixed to the joists at suitable heights.

If you are installing posts for handrails they would be Dynabolted or concreted into the ground and fixed to the frame of the deck with bolts.

I believe the diagonal length on the sides would be 2330mm.

If the composite decking was adequately supported then you could certainly make a bench and table from it the same as any timber.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Composite decking with decking frame

Hi thanks for your response we need to follow council guideline which is attached . i was thinking to make two frames of 2.1 x 5 in order to achieve full length Engg plan-page-001.jpg

rajan558
Getting Established

Artifical Grass on top of decking.

hi i would like to build 2 x 10 m artifical grass on top of decking frame. also floor have a slope of 100 mm.

What material we can use for the base of artificial grass. The decking would be staying outside 24/7 need to consider rain , sun and harsh weather . so what would be good option to cover the frame and put grass on top 

thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Artifical Grass on top of decking.

Hi @rajan558,

To assist our members in understanding what you want to achieve a diagram might help and clarification would be fantastic. Are you wanting to build a deck that is 2 x 10m and then have artificial grass on top of it? Or is the frame with artificial grass going on top of a deck?

We look forward to hearing further details about your project and providing assistance.

Mitchell

Yes that is correct I want to achieve 2 × 10 m decking including frame and put artificial grass on top so what would be cheap and good option for decking it could be anything outdoor timber , sheets or something else. It would be covered by artificial grass anyway. But something goes longer as its outdoor 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rajan558,

You could build the outside frame and internal structure with Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 70 x 45mm. I've included a plan below of a suitable layout suggestion. 

There are not many options when it comes to a sheeting suitable for external purposes. These sheets will have water sitting on top of them every time it rains and even an exterior/marine plywood will rot under those circumstances. You might like to drill drainage holes through it to prevent standing water. Alternatively, you could use a sheeting like Formply that has a coating on it.

Builders Edge pedestal feet can be used as supports for your frame to account for the 100mm slope. They are adjustable to suit the required height and keep everything level.

Mitchell

Engg planEngg plan

Hi 

we need to follow the attach plan via council so we can only use 90 x 45 mgp10 treated but we need to put artifical grass instead of decking hardwood as mention in attachment. so what will be the cheapest and weather resistence option for decking flooring 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rajan558,

The plan you have appears to be for a deck which uses decking and not sheeting. If you need to follow the council plan it states that Modwood boards or 90 x 19mm hardwood or council approved equivalent must be used. There is no mention of another flooring to put synthetic grass on that I can see.

If you wish to use sheets instead of timber decking boards you might need to have these plans revisited and adjusted to suit. A sheeting product suitable for a deck would be James Hardie HardiePanel FC Flooring and these are the installation requirements.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects