Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Deck and staining issues

Jennet
Getting Established

Deck and staining issues

Hi

Will paint stripper remove natural colouring in the new timber? 

Also I have a spa pool on the deck and no way of moving it unless I hire movers.  Is it stupid to stain around the deck?   

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Deck and staining issues

Hi @Jennet,

Could you please provide us a little more information about what you are wanting to do? We would be more than happy to suggest to most appropriate products and steps to follow. Photos of your deck might also help members to see what you are working with. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jennet
Getting Established

Hi.  I sorted it finally.  Still unsure of what to do about when I need to stain about the spa being in the way.  Photo attached.  The deck is made of  Kwila.

20210110_164815.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jennet,

As @Jason has mentioned, could you please provide more detail on what you want to achieve and why you want to strip the natural colouring out of the timber? Is this a new deck and you wish to strip the tannins out of it before oiling it?

Is this the permanent location for the spa? If not, then I would wait until you can have it moved. Before them moving it, I would suggest oiling the area of the deck it is moving to and then placing the spa into position. You can then oil the rest of the deck around it.

Mitchell

Jennet
Getting Established

It's the permanent position.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Jennet,

I think your best option would be to have it moved off the deck for a few days whilst you strip the tannins and complete the oiling process of the deck. It can then be placed back on the oiled section when you're done.

Is it empty at the moment? If it is, I wouldn't have thought it to be incredibly heavy. Perhaps a couple of neighbours could lend a hand with some encouragement from a six-pack of beer?

Mitchell

Jennet
Getting Established

Not that easy but thanks.  Weights 246kg empty.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects