Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Deck, built-in barbecue and screening

Dbanger
Getting Established

Deck, built-in barbecue and screening

StevieB_0-1643663895044.jpeg

Hi all, I'm building a built-in bbq unit from formply, the cladding it in 90mm merbau decking boards .

I was think of using  F-27   290 X 45mm merbau X 2 as a bench top.

What gapping would I need between the two ?  I was think that with the size and thinkness I might get away with 3mm of less?  

Thanks in advance 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: merbau bench top

Hi @Dbanger

Using a 3mm gap should be sufficient, just keep in mind that as the seasons pass that F-27 will shrink a millimeter or two. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the current framework? I'm sure our members are keen to see what the setup looks like. 

It sounds like a very interesting project. Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dbanger
Getting Established

IMG20220131175421.jpg

Screenshot_2022-01-31-17-22-59-61_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

  

IMG20220125191324.jpg

IMG20220113143104.jpg

IMG20220112205956.jpg

deck, bar tops and bbq finished 

Just need to add the stainless steel wires between posts and maybe some lights ( either deck lights or led strips routed in under the bar tops 

Need one more screen to finish off the fence but they are out of stock for two weeks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dbanger

Thank you so much for sharing your progress. I can already see a nice barbeque get together happening soon. It looks fantastic and your outdoor barbeque cooker is very nicely built. It's definitely the centre of attention. Did you put a stone top on the cabinet? Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the entire setup decking and fence together?     

One way to get your Merbau fence faster is to ask the store to do a store transfer. If the neighbouring store has a stock of an item that you need ask the special orders or trade desk to have one transferred to your local store. That way you don't have to wait two weeks.

Please keep us updated with your progress,  we look forward to the big reveal.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects