Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Deck extension - can I extend the existing bearer?

DangerousDave
Finding My Feet

Deck extension - can I extend the existing bearer?

I'm a newbie to the site, so please excuse any stupid questions.

We've recently had a pool installed and I want to extend the existing above ground deck to give access to the pool. The existing deck is fairly large (11m x 5m), above ground on a sloping block (1m above ground one end, 4m above ground at the other). I want to add approx. 2m x 2m of decking to bridge the gap between the existing deck and the area of level land adjacent to the pool area.

I've had one estimate of $15k, and that didn't include any balustrades!

So, I've decided to take this on myself. My question is, can I extend the existing bearer? It is 210 x 75 x 3000mm, and sits on two steel posts both with "U" brackets welded to the top. I appreciate it's tricky to picture this so have uploaded a few photos.

One photo is looking from the deck to the pool, the other looking back at the existing deck. The other photo shows how the existing bearer sits on top of the steel post. The small area where the sandstone blocks are lower is where I want to extend the deck. I was thinking an additional one or two steel supports in concrete to support the new bearer, and join this to the existing bearer.

I've come up with numerous ways to join the bearers, but not sure if this would meet code. I'm just north of Brisbane if this makes a difference.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

IMG_001.JPGIMG_002.JPGIMG_003.JPG

Re: Deck extension - can I extend the existing bearer?

Hi @PrideKnight,

I apologise for the delay in my reply.

Great idea with adding that drainage, standing water under a deck is never fantastic, and the humidity associated with it can shorten the timber's life.

Creating an over-sized slab and running your bearers and joists over it is one way to do it. Alternatively, you could create a slab the same size as the spa base and run the deck structure up next to it.

Please keep us updated. I'll be looking forward to seeing your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects