Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I glue or cement cinder blocks to build a 3 row garden wall?

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Do I glue or cement cinder blocks to build a 3 row garden wall?

Hi

Looking for some assistance here to understand how to build a garden bed by using cinder blocks.

Whats the best way stick cinder blocks on top of cinder blocks? Using landscaping liquid nail or proper cement? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do I glue or cement cinder blocks to build a 3 row garden wall?

Hello @AJ-DIYer

Thank you for sharing your question about building a cinder block garden wall. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Advice needed to lay brick-raised flower bed by @Brunnie_Rich. Although the discussion is referring to bricks, the techniques and principles used to lay them down are all applicable to cinder blocks. 

A solid foundation is essential when laying down cinderblocks. Failure to put a proper base in will cause the block wall to lean crack and eventually fall. My number one piece of advice before you begin is to compact the soil with a plate compactor. This will prevent the soil from subsiding and give you piece of mind that your foundation will not sink into the soil.

I suggest using mortar to join the cinder blocks together as it will cover more area when compared to landscaping liquid nails.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Thanks 😊 

How can I render the wall made of cinder blocks? Which rendering material and process should I follow to create that look we see with the brick fence on front of the display homes?

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Hi 

Another question I have is whether I should use cinder blocks or bricks to build a garden bed with bench attached to it. 

Something like below:

https://youtu.be/QiYO_1r7ICc

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AJ-DIYer

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the render you are referring to? Is it the one on the video link you posted? The general steps to rendering brick or cinder block walls are the same. The surface must be free of dirt and debris. It is recommended that a primer be used on the surface of the wall to provide an ideal bonding surface for the render. Once the primer cures, you can then apply the render to the wall.  

Here are some handy step-by-step guides.

In regards to your question about which material you should use, I suggest using cinder blocks if you are attaching a bench to it. However, please note that the gaps inside the cinder blocks must be filled with builder's mix and the wall reinforced with a reinforcing bar. In the interest of safety, I suggest engaging the services of an engineer and asking them about the viability of anchoring a bench seat onto your cinder block wall. If the load on the wall exceeds its tolerance, the chair will buckle and the wall will collapse. I suggest building a floor-standing seat so that there is no load on the wall. 

Eric  

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @AJ-DIYer 

I just finished a 2 row  besser or cinder  garden wall.  You want to go 3 bricks Height thats 600 ml,  It really sounds like your retaining earth ie a retaining wall which will need a solid foundation like @EricL  said.  Your local  council will  have some minimum specifications too.  But 600 mm height should be under  planning approval height,  I meantion this so you can build a great wall lol no one can question later on.

If you want that to be a forever wall  I highly  recommend  a  bare minimum of a  300x 300  square cement footing with  trench steel along the entire length.  I also recommend an agriculture  pipe  to drain  water build up  bedded in  crushed  20 blue metal rocks behind the wall if you know water collects in that area. Once you have that footing 300 x300  the wall will be a breeze to make with two pegs and a taunt string line . And please use mortar mix it wont  take you long  to get he hang of it. make sure you use waterproof gloves as  cement will dry your hands out touching it.  I used  liquide nails in the garden gluing loose  bricks in after a  bumping  them loose it seams to fail in two years and this surprised me.

I think EricL meantioned you can fill the insides of the besser/ cinder blocks(Cement sand or soil) and that makes them near indestructable

I love working with the 390 x 190 blocks as they are  easy to build with and the naturally are stable even  uncemented  when you  lay them over lapped like  brick,

If you want to try no  cement  foundation well that is possible but movment may occur at  later time.

Scrape out  flat dirt base and simply water for a couple days and earth will settle fast enough (dont use sand here) Go for it lay your cinder blocks and pack them in a little dirt and water it the added dirt will find  hollows and lock the blocks it tighter and wash underneath fillin any viods. and there is the option  of earth filling thr bricks. Ilke doing this as it add thremal insulation to  plant roots from a hot sun.

Note the cement footingsNote the cement footings

Thanks @Jewelleryrescue and @EricL 

Your responses are very helpful.

Just a couple of points that I am trying to understand better:

1. Any suggestions or examples of how I can build a floor standing seat so that I dont use the garden wall to hold the seat? 

2. If the council regulations say maximum 600 cm for garden wall, then the maximum number of rows I can use with 190 × 390 block would be just 3 rows. Is this info about the height specified on the council website?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AJ-DIYer

I suggest having a good look at these amazing seat projects shared by our Workshop members:

In relation to the garden wall height, if the rules in your area say a maximum height of 600cm is only allowed, that's pretty much how high you can go. Can you please confirm if it is in centimetres or millimetres as 600cm is six meters? However, if you wish to go past that height, it might be necessary to get a permit or submit an engineering plan for approval.  

Eric

Hi @AJ-DIYer 

Firstly i hope I didnt disturb you too much mentioning council red tape. Sorry if it did. 

But You can build any size what ever you want in you back yard including a wall any height with planning and council approval. they will say yeah  or nay. But under a certain height they dont want to know about it. Your garden wall holding dirt under their  height limit will be good to go.

But each  different council  will have there own building rule guides for the region your in. As a garden wall is holding back tonnes of earth and adding water to that could kill someone if not done right and it collapses.   So type in retaining wall  and  your council name "eg  retaining walls parramatta council regulations"  into google you should  some reading  from your council too guide you. 

In my council area if a wall holding dirt back and is 60cm tall it is a retaining wall and needs approval. if its 59cm it is not deamed a retaining wall, just a wall so 59 cm is out of  their rules.  But it  would be wise to read the rules for 60 cm walls FYI just in case.

So your planned wall is 3  blocks height 3x190 is 6oomm (including 3x  10 mm mortar layer.)  If you add capping stone thats an extra 40 mm + 10mm mortar so 650mm .  Simple solution lower the wall into the  ground  by 60mm or use  one layer halve height  cinder/besser blocks 95mm x 390x 190 block.

A mortor  joined  cinder wall sitting on footings will support brackets to mount seats on to.  Or make your wall and make  cinder peirs(stack)  to sit  timber  seating on top of separate to wall

There are a few examples of  besser  and timber seats other project people have made that may appeal to your garden.

Thank you @EricL  and @Jewelleryrescue

All the information will. Be helpful in my plan.

What sort of mortar can i use between cinder blocks?

When rendering the wall of cinder blocks, what's the best rendering concrete I can use?

How can I screw merbau used as a bench to cinder block?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects