Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do you need to clean decking boards before sanding?

butters
Growing in Experience

Do you need to clean decking boards before sanding?

We are looking to refresh our two decking areas. 

Looking to hire the orbital sander from bunnings then just finish with a suitable oil.

Will I need to chemically clean the boards prior to sanding, or can I just give it a hose off to get rid of any loose dirt etc then sand it?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do you need to clean decking boards before sanding?

Hi @butters,

If the decking is heavily contaminated with organic material or dirt, it would be a good idea to clean it before sanding. If you don't, you'll spread the contaminants around and onto the freshly sanded timber. I suggest using some Cabot's Deck Clean and a stiff bristle broom.

Make sure to allow the deck to fully dry before sanding.

Here are a few step-by-step guides you should find helpful: How to clean a deck, How to sand a deck and How to oil your deck.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
butters
Growing in Experience

The deck is quite clean, not heavily soiled with dirt or anything. Looks like it just needs a sweep/hose down to get rid of some loose grass clippings and dog hair.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It sounds like you should be right to sand straight away, @butters. Still, let the deck dry fully if you hose it down.

Please take some before and after pictures for us. I trust our members would really appreciate checking out your results.

On a side note, does the deck need to be sanded? Has it greyed extensively, started to splinter, or are there raised fibres? I just wanted to ensure that you needed to sand and didn't think it was always compulsory before re-oiling.

Mitchell

butters
Growing in Experience

20220805_134445.jpg

 Was a new build, not sure what oil/stain was used previously.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It could definitely benefit from a sanding, @butters👍

After you have it all sorted, re-coating with your oil yearly is ideal. Or, in extreme circumstances, twice yearly. For a maintenance coat, it should only take 15 minutes to whip over the deck, saving you an incredible amount of work in the long run.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects