Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Extending Deck Fencing

aplas1987
Getting Established

Extending Deck Fencing

image14.jpg

Hi Everyone,

My first time posting here; my partner and I are looking at extending the fencing around our whole deck to stop the dogs from runining it. My question is would that be something we could do ourselves? I know that the timber is spotted gum but would have no idea where to start and where to source that type of timber with the wire in it as well....looking for some help!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Extending Deck Fencing

Hi @aplas1987,

Great to have you join us. Welcome to the Workshop community. I'm sure that our members will provide plenty of helpful advice for this project and many others to come in future. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand with anything or have something to share.

Just to clarify, are you proposing to have fencing along the line in this photo between the timber decking and the stone pavers? And could you tell us how high off the ground the deck is? And are there any other options for keeping the dogs out of the area? 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
aplas1987
Getting Established

Hi Jason,

We would ideally like the fencing to be on that line with a gate to it as well....a guess would be that the deck is maybe between 1-2 metres off the ground.

We would like to make it an outdoor living area and the dogs are constantly on the deck and have a tendency to destroy things.

Hi @aplas1987

Welcome. That’s a nice outdoor space you’ve got. Often your deck fencing will be an extension of your deck posts (stumps). From your picture (the deck/paving line) I’m thinking that tinkering with this could present a lot of work. Alternatively you could build a series of frames secured into the deck floor, a house stud (if it lines up with the line) and each other. You should be able to get your timber from a good timber yard, especially if you want to match what you already have. Your gate might need a special design and I reckon you call back into Workshop members for suggestions. The wire parts of the fence are actually easy to do, as long as you are patient and measure out well e.g. get wire strands parallel. You will get everything you need (wire and accessories) from Bunnings. I think Jason has asked about the deck height because there are certain standards/codes that might need to be adhered to. Some council requirements may need engineering design depending on height above ground level. In any case, I think, from looking at your photo, that you intend to build a barrier (fence) that won’t have a drop on the other side of it - if so, you should be good to go.  Finally, you can absolutely do it yourself. You will learn a heap and take pride in what you’ve built. Look forward to seeing what you do. @Allan72

aplas1987
Getting Established

Hi @Allan72 thanks for the reply...the part I am grappling with at the moment is, is there anyway we can build it onto the deck without having to put posts down to the ground?

Hi @aplas1987. I suppose the trick here is achieving an outcome that is structurally sound but looks good too, without having to undertake significant works. Putting in new posts would be significant work. My previous suggestion might provide a reasonable outcome if you could secure frames into joists and the deck, made a bracket for the posts and had suitable anchor points at either end of the fence e.g a stud in the house and an existing post at the other end. From your photo I’m assuming one exists? One issue with this option is possible flimsiness, especially with the introduction of a gate. Alternatively, I was thinking you could secure posts into the bearer below the deck boards/joists (using 2 x M10 or M12 bolts offset would be fine). Once again, I’m assuming there’s a bearer along the deck/paving line. If the placement of your posts meant that you also butted up against a joist then I’d take the opportunity to further secure the post (at 90 degrees to the bearer) by using the joist as well. You would need to remove a few decking boards to get access to do this. You would then need to cut the decking boards when putting them back in to accommodate for the posts that are now coming up through the floor level. Get everything square and level and then secure with a nice hand rail. I don’t think that this method would compromise the bearer (we’re talking about 2 x 10mm holes, say every 1.8m) but would be keen to hear from other Workshop members about this. I knocked up a quick sketch to demonstrate the concept. This latter option might give you the best of both worlds - a secure fence frame without having to pull everything up. Hope that helps. Allan72. Some assumptions about bearer dimensionsSome assumptions about bearer dimensions

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @aplas1987,

Would it be possible to post photos of the area that you will be fencing off? Perhaps some measurements of the current fence and where you would like the fence to go. Any sketch or drawing will do nicely. Thanks. Oh and dont forget to indicate where the fence gate will be located. Thanks!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects