Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

External light fittings

cadsman
Having an Impact

External light fittings

IMG_20190822_110200.jpg
cadsman
Having an Impact

Re: external light fittings.

Made these to suit our wall cladding.

Timber back, miniorb shroud and Bunnings aluminium sheet reflectors. All fit bayonet cap fluorescent lamps.

Made about 14 of them all up. Look good at night and the lighting works as well.

cadsman
Having an Impact

at night.

IMG_20190822_174018.jpg
Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Re: External light fittings

That’s very inventive and a great industrial look, they look good when lit up too. Well done @cadsman 👍 

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

That looks pretty good,

However, I don't want to take anything away from it, the questions I ask are these:

Is that light fitting inside there IP rated for outdoor installation?

Where the cable supplying that fitting comes through the steel siding, is there a plastic bush

to prevent the cable being cut over time and livening the side of the building up?

Is there an earth point on that light fitting?

Sorry, I didn't want to be THAT guy, as an Electrician, I've seen people killed/severely injured by grabbing door

handles when a light fitting gets wet and it livens the whole steel building up.

I'm all about electrical safety.

Cheers,

Mike T.

cadsman
Having an Impact

Hi Mike, yep there is a grommet at each exit thru the miniorb cladding. Being a retired Architect I am somewhat trepidatious about these things having seen what a sliding door an do to a flex not grommeted in a steel stud framed house!!! 

The fitting is a standard batten holder for bayonet lamps. No IP that I can rely on but have used them outside a lot in the past. The light fitting is really just some cladding on a hardwood backing plate with sawn holes for the batten fitting. Then screwed to the building cladding with a layer of insulating rubber behind the hardwood at each screw fixing. All fittings are in protected positions under veranda roofing or extended eaves offering protection from down flow and wind driven rain.

Thanks for your friendly reminder of safety factors, I appreciate constructive criticism from all sources.

Cheers IanK

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects