Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Feature fences

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Feature fences

Now I've done 4 different types of feature fencing in recent times, I thought I'd pop them all into one post to hopefully give some creative inspiration.

Some options are more challenging than others but all are within a DIYer's reach. 

Hope you enjoy.

IMG_20200919_131822_544.jpg

IMG_20200919_131822_542.jpg

IMG_20200919_131822_543.jpg

IMG-20200919-WA0001.jpg

IMG_20200919_131822_545.jpg

IMG_20200919_131822_553.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Re: Feature fences

@ProjectPete thanks so much for the photo, that is very helpful! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Followers of this discussion might like to check out @ProjectPete's new step-by-step guide How to add an extension to a Colorbond fence

Hope you find it useful.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @ProjectPete 

These look great. How did you fix that frame to the colourbond? Just screws, or bolts? A bit hard to see in the photo.

Also, what is the frame resting on? Looks like some more timber? And what did you do to waterproof the bottom of the frame? Did you add drainage holes in case water gets in some how?

Also, how did you make the wall behind the Cactus? Is that a frame with Fibre Cement Sheets? Is it rendered, or texture paint? Thanks

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks @Itai 

• Frame fixed to fence with 14g Metal Teks bugle screws.
  • Frame doesn't rest on anything, fixed direct to top and bottom fence rails.
  • I use a Crommelins waterproofing agent - only required for bottom of frame as it's installed close to ground. Avoid it actually touching the ground.
  • Drainage holes not required.
  • The cactus wall are Hardiflex sheets painted with Dulux Fine Cover Texture paint tinted Colorbond Surfmist. Prime it first.

Hope this helps 😀

----------
Handy and helpful

Hi @ProjectPete

Do you have any concerns about the additional weight on the fences? I was trying to convince my mother to do something like this at her house and described how I would fix the frame. I had presumed the frame and cladding weight was supported from the ground, and they were merely pinned back against the fence. She was concerned that might not be great for the fence, but you're saying the entire weight is born by the fence? Even I'm surprised by that, but I trust your expertise.

Either way that's great to hear, as once I explain how you actually constructed it I'm sure she'll be happy with me just pinning them back to the fence for extra security.

Mitchell

Thanks @ProjectPete

That's really helpful :smile:

I assume you ran some hardiflex along the top as well. How did you seal where the two hardiflex sheets meet, and how did you sell between the top and the colourbond fence, or did you not seal that part and it's be fine that water gets inside the frame due to the corrugated profile it's resting against?

Thanks

I've never had an issue with affecting the structural integrity of the fencing @MitchellMc . The first one I did was about 5 or so years ago and it's still standing strong and true.

----------
Handy and helpful
LiRey85
Getting Established

😳😱 seriously. This is my dream garden. Well done. It looks amazing 

RebeccaJ
Finding My Feet

@ProjectPete 

Hi Pete

The above projects look extremely elegant and professional. I am looking to hide my wooden fence behind cement cladding and need it to be secure enough to keep my pets confined to the garden. I am looking for a professional to install the cladding and wondered if you can help me.
I would truly appreciate your recommendations.

thank you . 
Rebecca

North Dandenong, Victoria

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @RebeccaJ,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

I know @ProjectPete is based in Perth so is unlikely to be able to assist. If you are looking for recommendations on a tradesperson, we would always recommend you try a site like Airtasker or hipages. As Workshop is a community for people right across Australia and New Zealand, it is unlikely that there will be a member near you who can recommend someone suitable. It's best to go direct to a site that is designed for that purpose. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects