Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Festoon party lights in backyard

weekenddiyer
Having an Impact

Festoon party lights in backyard

I've always loved seeing neighbours yards lit up at night when running around my local area. I decided to add some festoon party lights to our backyard.  It was inexpensive and adds for a bit of fun and atmosphere.

These lights were from Temple & Webster (the lights are outdoor rated and run on 240v - no transformer).  I purchased a few timber offcuts from Bunnings to extend the height of my fenceposts to give me something to anchor them to.  I lopped the top of the offcuts off on the angle to prevent water from pooling and gave them a quick lick of paint to match the fence.  I used steel wire, a few eye hooks and a cable tensioner and strung the guide wire to support the lights (so the electrical cable wasn't supporting the weight of the lights). Then I attached the lights to the wire using some cable zip ties. I've got the lights on a smart switch so I can run them on a schedule or say "Hey Google, turn on the fairy lights"... which the kids love to do!

All in all it was $110, which included the lights and fittings for a 20 metre run of lights.

backyardlights5.jpg   backyardlights7.jpg  

backyardlights2.jpg   backyardlights3.jpg  

backyardlights1.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Festoon Party Lights in Backyard

Hi @weekenddiyer.

What a great low-cost transformation. I'm sure the new lighting adds a certain ambience to night time alfresco dining.

Many thanks for sharing your project and we look forward to what you have planned next.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bunnibgs123
Just Starting Out

Re: Festoon party lights in backyard

I bought the solar lights but wanted to see if I can convert these in order to plug into a socket as I found I actually have an external plug under my water heater.  I’ve tried for 2 days working out of the solar is going to work and nothing as yet so thought I would just convert if  there is an additional cord I can buy? 

Re: Festoon party lights in backyard

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bunnibgs123. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about solar lights.

If you've discovered a 240volt source, I suggest the best option would be to return the solar lights and purchase something similar to Lytworx 10 Warm White LED Connectable Party Lights instead. There are no conversion cords to change solar-powered lights into 240volt power.

Regarding your solar lights not working, have you removed the little plastic tab that is often in place to isolate the batteries? Generally, it needs to be removed before you place the solar panel in the sun to start charging the batteries.

We'll be looking forward to seeing your lights installed. Please keep us updated and let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects