Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Festoon party lights in backyard

Highlighted
Junior Contributor

Festoon party lights in backyard

I've always loved seeing neighbours yards lit up at night when running around my local area. I decided to add some festoon party lights to our backyard.  It was inexpensive and adds for a bit of fun and atmosphere.

These lights were from Temple & Webster (the lights are outdoor rated and run on 240v - no transformer).  I purchased a few timber offcuts from Bunnings to extend the height of my fenceposts to give me something to anchor them to.  I lopped the top of the offcuts off on the angle to prevent water from pooling and gave them a quick lick of paint to match the fence.  I used steel wire, a few eye hooks and a cable tensioner and strung the guide wire to support the lights (so the electrical cable wasn't supporting the weight of the lights). Then I attached the lights to the wire using some cable zip ties. I've got the lights on a smart switch so I can run them on a schedule or say "Hey Google, turn on the fairy lights"... which the kids love to do!

All in all it was $110, which included the lights and fittings for a 20 metre run of lights.

backyardlights5.jpg   backyardlights7.jpg  

backyardlights2.jpg   backyardlights3.jpg  

backyardlights1.jpg

Highlighted
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Festoon Party Lights in Backyard

Hi @weekenddiyer.

What a great low-cost transformation. I'm sure the new lighting adds a certain ambience to night time alfresco dining.

Many thanks for sharing your project and we look forward to what you have planned next.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects